First Time at Jerky

Steve In Pa

Reaction score
Just completed my first attempt at jerky on the Pit Boss Vertical.

Looks and tastes good. I hope I got enough moisture out of it.

Details are:
Meat: pre sliced bottom round from Sam's
Overnight marinade. Wife did that and the general prep. She sprinkled some pepper seeds on them for a little flair just before the smoke began.
The larger pieces are about as big around as a thumb.
Outside temps here in the mid 30s, no wind.
Ran it up to 350 first, then backed off to the smoke setting. Once it cooled to 180ish in went the meat. That was my target temp.
Smoke setting wouldn't cut it for keeping the temp at 180. I had to manually set it to 180, then 190 to get it in the ball park. It hovered in the mid 170s.
My smoker is cooler toward the front door (based on thermometer readings in the past) so I turned the grills around every half hour or so.
It was supposed to be done in 2 hours and seemed OK after some sampling, but I let it in another hour rotating as above.

Jerky seems firm, stiff, with just a bit of moisture inside.

Assessment: Taste is pretty good, it's chewy like you'd expect from jerky. Seems right. Further nibbling will tell the tale.
jerky.jpg

It was a fun smoke. I was a bit worried I left it in too long and might need a Dremel tool to whack off pieces to gnaw on. But I checked it this morning and it's still a good firm yet flexible texture.
Looks good from ur previous picture. Does that vertical u have have 10 degree increments on the controller and are the walls insulated and if so does it say it anywhere oh and also how much does it weigh. Sorry about all the questions lol. I was thinking about getting one for my girlfriends house so I can still smoke meat over there too lol.

Looks good from ur previous picture. Does that vertical u have have 10 degree increments on the controller and are the walls insulated and if so does it say it anywhere oh and also how much does it weigh. Sorry about all the questions lol. I was thinking about getting one for my girlfriends house so I can still smoke meat over there too lol.
Yes on 10 degree increments. at least on mine.
Insulated? I don't see anything on that in the manual.
Weight: 51.0 kg / 112.2 lb according to the manual.
I attached the manual here for you to look over.

Attachments

• 72780_PBV4PS1_manualUSA_EN_ES.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 11
Day two.. definitely a good jerky texture and feel. Tasty too. Wife approved.
It's in the fridge, but I'm guessing it would keep out of the fridge, for a while anyway.

The PBV4PS2 I have, I did question Tech Support and they assured me that the unit was insulated when I bought it last year, as for weigh I believe it is 156lbs without the pellets. And the controller they sent me has the 10 deg increments. Now that I'm thinking about it, I did see insulation when I was putting on the chimney and I asked if insulation was only on the top and Tech Support said no, the 3 sides are insulated too.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve and Mike for ur answers. I was curious about the weight cuz I’d be the one taking it off my truck lol. The 1150 was kinda heavy doing it by myself.

Day two.. definitely a good jerky texture and feel. Tasty too. Wife approved.
It's in the fridge, but I'm guessing it would keep out of the fridge, for a while anyway.
Yeah I'm sure it would, just put it in a Ziploc bag. Jerky from the store is in a zip bag so I don't see any harm. Not to mention jerky wouldn't last a day in this house it would be gone!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back