First full packer brisket

Sean

Reaction score
Just did a full packer brisket for first time. Was 11lbs. Probably 10 trimmed. Put it on around two. Set temp at 225. Ran around 205 most of the night. Outside temp was around 35 so understandable. By 7:30 internal temp with two probes was 165. Wrapped in foil. By 9:15 both probes were at 205. Pulled and completed. Should I be concerned that a 10lb brisket cooked in 7 hours. Was expecting much longer with everything I read. Fairly confident that grill temp was close to correct and confident in probes as I tried my own. I guess taste will tell. Have it toweled in a yeti and will be 6-8 hours before serving. Any others have same experience with a quick cook? Thinking either the burner directly below meat may cook quicker. I did have the grate closed.

Welcome to the forum @Sean - Congrats on your first packer brisket. From my limited experience wrapping the brisket in foil at 165 really speeds up the cook. I've followed the same method but wrapped with butcher paper at 165 and it takes 2-3 hours longer.

How did it come out? What did you use for rub?

Welcome to the forum @Sean - Congrats on your first packer brisket. From my limited experience wrapping the brisket in foil at 165 really speeds up the cook. I've followed the same method but wrapped with butcher paper at 165 and it takes 2-3 hours longer.

How did it come out? What did you use for rub?
Used a generic rub the meat department gave me. Think next time will do just salt and pepper. May even try not wrapping. The 7.5 hours surprised me as everything I read. Even with crutch was much longer.

Latest Discussions

Back