First Boston Butt

Heelz23

Reaction score
Hello, I have my first BB's on the smoker now, been on for about 12 hours and I am not getting the bark color I had hoped for. Started them out on smoke mode for 4-5 hours but PB would only get to 170, then turned it up two 225 for 5-6 hours, now on up to 350 to see what happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hello, I have my first BB's on the smoker now, been on for about 12 hours and I am not getting the bark color I had hoped for. Started them out on smoke mode for 4-5 hours but PB would only get to 170, then turned it up two 225 for 5-6 hours, now on up to 350 to see what happens. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Wrap it in foil or peach butcher paper
Either one is good but I prefer the butcher paper
You also need to make sure your temperature sensor is clean. That stops temperature swings.
I pull mine when internal temperature is around 190 and let it rest
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Last edited:
Hello Heelz23, How did that butt turn out?
What did you season/prep with?
Did you harvest a local pig?

Overall it turned out pretty good, not what I was used to on the Lang Smoker. Was dry in some outer areas from not wrapping and moving temp up at the end to get it up to IT. I just hit it with salt/pepper before smoking, then when pulling I hit it with salt/pepper/crushed red pepper and a pineapple/apple cider sauce I make. Usually have some juice from the cook to mix in with the pull as well but there was none this time. Next time I think I will put them in a alum pan to save some of the juice. Thinking about a smoke tube as well Ive seen some mention. I need to try some of that mustard sauce you guys use down in SC. Had it once in Florence and it was pretty good.

Attachments

• IMG_1759.jpg
    IMG_1759.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for pictures and the report. Looks good. As far as advice, I've only done a couple of boston butts, so I'm not sure if I'd be much help. Not sure what kind of PB you have, but I'm assuming having 3 BB's on there at the same time probably kept your temp down around 170 using smoke mode, which is why it took so long. I'm wondering if it would be better to set it at 200 instead and add a smoke tube, or adjust your P setting so that it feeds a little more often to maintain a slightly higher temperature.

When I did mine, my smoke setting kept it around 190-200 degrees and I left it there for 4-5 hours. Then I bumped it to 225 for another 4 hours. I then wrapped it in foil and set it at 300 degrees until I reached an IT of 200 (about 2 hours), then let it rest in the foil for about an hour. Mine was pretty good, but I feel like I could have left it on the grill wrapped in foil for just a little bit longer. It pulled pretty well, but was a bit tough to tear in some parts. But it tasted great.

I think my rub had a little sugar in it which also helped the bark color. When I pulled, I had plenty of juice in the meat and foil to keep things moist.

TY 73, you are probably right on the 3 butts, I have a 440 so its a smaller one and the 3 butts pretty much filled it up. I think 2 could be done on it much easier and would probably help with the temps. I will follow your routine with the next two I do and see what happens. I may also try a little dry rub on it the next time and see how that works out. Thanks again!!

Overall it turned out pretty good, not what I was used to on the Lang Smoker. Was dry in some outer areas from not wrapping and moving temp up at the end to get it up to IT. I just hit it with salt/pepper before smoking, then when pulling I hit it with salt/pepper/crushed red pepper and a pineapple/apple cider sauce I make. Usually have some juice from the cook to mix in with the pull as well but there was none this time. Next time I think I will put them in a alum pan to save some of the juice. Thinking about a smoke tube as well Ive seen some mention. I need to try some of that mustard sauce you guys use down in SC. Had it once in Florence and it was pretty good.
Looks good Heelz.
How about a spritz of applecider vinegar/ pineapple juice.
White sugar makes darkest bark compared to light brown sugar, I like turbinado in my rub. Afriend of mine puts his butts in an aluminum half pan for the entire smoke. I wrap mine with peach/pink butcher paper most of the time.
You might like an Inkbird or Solis type remote thermometer, 4 channels let's ya monitor the meat and smoker temp. Some have time temperature graphs that is very useful. I have a Solis 4 and a Fireboard 6 channel.
I have a MASH vinegar drip IV in my arm right now!
Happy Smokin, Lumbee!

Thank you Bud. I will check the thermos out. So with the butcher paper, do you start it wrapped or wrap after you get the bark you are looking for?

Thank you Bud. I will check the thermos out. So with the butcher paper, do you start it wrapped or wrap after you get the bark you are looking for?
wrap when you get the bark you're looking for.
I did mine differently, didn't use butcher paper.. cooked on the rack in the smoker till the bark was set and color looked good, then put it in a half pan and covered tightly with foil and checked temp and for probe tenderness

Last edited:
When you put meat in the smoker you can monitor the internal temp it will rise about 10 degrees per hour. Then it will start sweating at or above 145*‐160*, at thus point the internal temp stops rising or slows to only a couple degrees per hour. This is the Stall. This is when the Texas Crutch comes in! With a graphing thermometer it will be obvious. This is when to wrap it tightly, even ad 4 oz of spritz. This will keep the meat from "cooling" itself. At 185* or so this effect stops, you could open the wrap a or not. But I think you will find good pull at 203* -208*. This is the fall apart temp range. 185-200* is slicing range so to speak...

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back