Firmware Update for Pit Boss Pro Series 850?

So I called again and they said nobody there has heard of a new or update for the 850 controller.
I asked why do we have to play the game of calling back to try to get a different agent who might know something different.
Also asked why we customers know more about what's available then Pit Boss employees?
After a 5 minute hold they told me if I ship my controller to them they will update it for me so it has the 10* increments.
They said the only new controllers available are on the new 850 models being shipped to Lowe's, (really?)
I have to pay for the shipping to them and they will pay to ship it back to me.
Fair enough, I have two spare controllers so I won't be without a grill.
So basically there is a new controller. I think they may have offered to replace mine as I just purchased mine 5 days ago. I do find it weird that again they say nope no such thing but then again after they speak to someone else they discover there is a new one

1. Pick up hammer.
2. Hit head with hammer.
3. Put down hammer.
4. Walk headfirst into wall.
5. Repeat with hammer...

Hey guys can you please upload a video of your 850 with the new controller and increments it might be easier to show that at the time of asking for a new one :)

Hey guys can you please upload a video of your 850 with the new controller and increments it might be easier to show that at the time of asking for a new one :)
I am planning to as soon as I receive mine in the mail

My new controller from pit boss arrived in the mail today. Will try to switch it our tonight or tomorrow and see if it now goes up in 10 degree increments

So I shipped my controller to the address they told me to and so far I haven't heard anything,
shipped 7-20-2021 as of today I have not received my controller back! 8-2-2021
can't log in to the web site cause it says my email address does not exist in their system?
no email with shipping info.
I was on vacation for a week at Lake Havasu 🏄‍♂️🚤 thinking the new controller will be here when I get back, but where is it?

So I shipped my controller to the address they told me to and so far I haven't heard anything,
shipped 7-20-2021 as of today I have not received my controller back! 8-2-2021
can't log in to the web site cause it says my email address does not exist in their system?
no email with shipping info.
I was on vacation for a week at Lake Havasu 🏄‍♂️🚤thinking the new controller will be here when I get back, but where is it?
You have a tracking number to atlases see if they received it?

You have a tracking number to atlases see if they received it?
tracked it and they received it on July 29, shipped July 22, maybe fire delays, SoCal to Salem
I'll give it another two days to get back. Can't wait to have 10* increments.

Last edited:
So I got my updated controller yesterday and when I got home I went out and installed it.
10 degree increments up to 300* then 25 degree increments, great!
Now I can't wait to test it out this weekend.
I haven't used it in a couple weeks, vacation and stuff.
But I think I'll do some ribs this weekend.
My grill would never hold 250* which is a temp I like to use, at 250* it would only get to 220*
I would turn it up to 300*, when it got to 260* turn it down to 250* as it went down to 240* I would turn it back up to 300*
Play that game the whole time just to try and keep it around 250*
Maybe now I'll just have to turn it up 10* at a time to see where true 250* is.

So an update on the function of this new updated controller. ( I also installed a new ignitor cause mine was slow to ignite )
I fired up the grill with some of the old Walmart Expert Grill pellets I have leftover, (they actually have a really good smell to them).
Set it to 'S' setting and it smoked and kept temp for a good hour without a problem, good amount of smoke too!
set it to 220* and it heated right up and held steady, and the amount of smoke was very good.
set it to 250* and it went to 250* and held good. All temps. tested held good.
What I did notice that was very different with this controller is when it reaches the set temperature, it does not just lock on and stay there, like the previous one did, ( kinda suspect too ).
It varies up and down a couple degrees like at 220* it will go down to 217* and up to 223* and so on.
Like the old timer controllers but with very little swing, the smoke pours out of this thing on cycles like a timer, but maintains the temp. setting within 2 or 3 degrees.
I am very impressed at this point. And the temps. I set it at were reached and were accurate.
200* was 200* and 250* was 250*, at this point I think I have total control of this grill. even temps. left to right and control of the heat settings. I don't know what else I can ask for.
Awsome!
Also the ignitor comes on whenever I turn the temperature up, it also comes on at random I think to prevent flame outs.
I think they got the algorithms right this time!

Last edited:
So an update on the function of this new updated controller. ( I also installed a new ignitor cause mine was slow to ignite )
I fired up the grill with some of the old Walmart Expert Grill pellets I have leftover, (they actually have a really good smell to them).
Set it to 'S' setting and it smoked and kept temp for a good hour without a problem, good amount of smoke too!
set it to 220* and it heated right up and held steady, and the amount of smoke was very good.
set it to 250* and it went to 250* and held good. All temps. tested held good.
What I did notice that was very different with this controller is when it reaches the set temperature, it does not just lock on and stay there, like the previous one did, ( kinda suspect too ).
It varies up and down a couple degrees like at 220* it will go down to 217* and up to 223* and so on.
Like the old timer controllers but with very little swing, the smoke pours out of this thing on cycles like a timer, but maintains the temp. setting within 2 or 3 degrees.
I am very impressed at this point. And the temps. I set it at were reached and were accurate.
200* was 200* and 250* was 250*, at this point I think I have total control of this grill. even temps. left to right and control of the heat settings. I don't know what else I can ask for.
Awsome!
Also the ignitor comes on whenever I turn the temperature up, it also comes on at random I think to prevent flame outs.
I think they got the algorithms right this time!
Did you start out bringing it to 350 first then back it down to 200, or went right to 200,250 ect

Did you start out bringing it to 350 first then back it down to 200, or went right to 200,250 ect
I went straight to the S smoke setting because my old controller did not stay at a low temperature on S setting.
It would go from 180* and stay there for about 10 or 15 minutes then would start to climb, all the way up to 280 on S setting.
So that's why I wanted to test out the S setting first.
it worked well at all temps. I tested, (all lower than 300*) also the little swing is a good thing as far as I can tell, it gives off way more smoke then before.

Latest Discussions

Back