Firmware Update for Pit Boss Pro Series 850?

Schvoontz

Reaction score
Hello there!

I am seeing that there is a firmware update for the controller for the Pit Boss Pro 1150 that gives 10-degree increment temperature control. This is fantastic!

I am wondering, is that the same controller as is used for the 850? If so, can we get the firmware updated on our 850 grills?

If it's not the same controller, when can we expect a firmware update for the Pit Boss Pro 850? I really would like to have more control over temperature. It's the only thing that I have found wrong with the grill so far. Otherwise, it's fantastic!

Please do let us know:

1.) Is there a firmware update for the Pro Series 850?

2.) If so, exactly how do we go about getting the new firmware for the Pro Series 850 controller?

Thanks so much!

As of earlier this week the response I got from the company was they currently do not have a fix in place to upgrade the 850 controllers. It is only for the 1050.

if they do come up with one I assume it will be the same as the 1050. You have to take apart the grill to get the controller and mail it to them to upgrade it and send it back.

As of earlier this week the response I got from the company was they currently do not have a fix in place to upgrade the 850 controllers. It is only for the 1050.

if they do come up with one I assume it will be the same as the 1050. You have to take apart the grill to get the controller and mail it to them to upgrade it and send it back.
I mean the 1150 not the 1050 just to be clear

I mean the 1150 not the 1050 just to be clear
10-4, thanks for the update! I think they will fix it, it will just take a bit more time, I suppose. Once they update the firmware for the Pit Boss Pro 850, it will pretty much be the perfect machine. Fantastic! :)

I'm on hold with pit boss now the guy who took my call said he has never heard of a firmware update for any model
There are a bunch of other threads on here talking about the 1150 and people sending in the controllers to be reprogrammed/updated. I also contacted the company through their support forums and got the same response that it can be done on 1150 but not 850

Hello there!

I am seeing that there is a firmware update for the controller for the Pit Boss Pro 1150 that gives 10-degree increment temperature control. This is fantastic!

I am wondering, is that the same controller as is used for the 850? If so, can we get the firmware updated on our 850 grills?

If it's not the same controller, when can we expect a firmware update for the Pit Boss Pro 850? I really would like to have more control over temperature. It's the only thing that I have found wrong with the grill so far. Otherwise, it's fantastic!

Please do let us know:

1.) Is there a firmware update for the Pro Series 850?

2.) If so, exactly how do we go about getting the new firmware for the Pro Series 850 controller?

Thanks so much!
There is no firmware update for the Pro 850, even if someone at Dansons says there is. i spent weeks sending my 850 controller in after they told me they would update it. When they returned it it did not work at all. They sent me a brand new one that worked, but it was identical to the original with all of its flaws. When I told them this they said “it is what it is.” PitBoss built an excellent smoker. It’s too bad they teamed up with a third party that doesn’t know what it’s doing.

So I received my new controller for the PB850PS2 Pro Series 850.
Looks like the BT antenna has been moved (I think) to a visible spot on the board, I will install it this weekend and see if anything changes. My original displayed the L01 firmware version on start up, I will see if this one has a different code like L02 or whatever.
BTW, I think the guy on here that said he got a new controller for the 850 and it has 4 meat probe ports is just blowing smoke up our arses. There is no difference in these things.
20210223_183225.jpg
20210223_183243.jpg

I just installed my 850 replacement a week ago. The only difference I have seen, other than working with the app, is I'm noticing that the auger runs more. It seems to run more frequent short bursts which is adding more visible smoke. I've also noticed that the fan that cuts on when the auger is turning is much louder than the last one I had. Nothing different in the temp department. And yes, only two meat probes... ; )

Has anyone found a work around for this in the meantime? Or an idea of how to adjust the cook time to match the temperature gap?

I did my first ever long smoke yesterday on a pork butt. The recipe called for 275 degrees for 8 hours unwrapped then 2 hours 290 wrapped until the internal temp reached 190 - 200. Problem is, with no way to consistently hold those temps I was juggling the temperature settings between 250 and 300 to keep it around 270. I failed at maintaining that, since I'm also working at the same time, and it spent most of the cook at 250.

End results were delicious but i had to work hard to pull the bone out and rip the meat apart. It wasn't dry or anything but the cooking process didn't break the fibrous tissue down well enough. I am assuming it is because it didn't get to spend enough time at a high enough temperature before the final cook. That is only my newby guess though.

Have any of you found a work around? like cooking at 250 for longer and make it up to a 14 hour cook?

I'm itching to cook again but all the recipes are asking for that elusive 275 area.

I think we 850 owners need to start pressuring Pit Boss to the point they concede that their controllers need to be updated like the ones on the 1150. Maybe with enough calls about that temperature GAP, the missing NEEDED temperature settings they might get something going. I like to cook at 250* a lot and when set to 250* it really is only at 220* - 230*, so I play the same game you do to try to keep 250* , turn up to 300* (gets too hot) then turn down to 250* (really 230*) just to maintain 250* App Assist told me that they probably will eventually but it won't be for a while. So maybe WE need to push them a little harder.
If we had 10 degree increments, that would solve the problems like we are having.

Latest Discussions

Back