Feral Hog Hunting Time

DaveXDm9

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have been a long time turkey hunter, but I started to hunt down Feral hogs about 4 years ago as they are being pretty destructive in Middle Tennessee. My buddy of mine has tracked this sounder below for the past 2 weeks. Group of hogs is called Sounders it is odd name, but I use a carbon cross bow for hunting both turkey and hogs.

We are hoping to bag 4 of them this weekend and maybe more as once you get there numbers down they tend to get confused so we will not have to chase them much once we take down there numbers. October is the best time right now and we are supposed to get some rain Saturday and Sunday which is better so hopefully I get some wild hog pork shoulders and bacon. Feral Hog is 10x better than farmed hogs especially the bacon.

So most likely the next few weekends is Hog hunting for me.

pig3.jpg

pigs.jpg

Got up at 4am this morning went to our spot and the rain was not helping us this time. They moved deep in the woods so it is too tough to get any decent shots with cross bows in thick woods. We dropped some feed in a field so hopefully this will draw them out for tomorrow morning.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better if we do not get any major storms from that Hurricane.

It's open season year round here in Florida. A buddy at work (with a couple of other guys) bagged 48 in ONE weekend!

It's open season year round here in Florida. A buddy at work (with a couple of other guys) bagged 48 in ONE weekend!

Those hogs are huge in Florida I would love to hunt them. You need to get a Pork Shoulder from them as they are amazing.

Feral Hogs in TN are not as big as Florida produces, but a decent size as we did have some big hogs at one time. We had some Russian boars running around in Tennessee/Alabama highway 65 city of Ardmore border as there was a hunting resort that went out of business and the idiot let them loose. They got wiped out as Tennessee and Alabama placed a high bounty on them as the hunters went crazy for them.

Oh they are bad here, sometimes you see them as road kill on the side of the road. I didn't believe him when they said they got 48 but he took pictures. They had all of the meat processed and then took what they didn't need to the homeless shelter.

We got 4 total today they were very alert this morning as they were feeding on the feed with left out. Soon as we hit the 4 the rest took off and went pretty far out in the woods. After we gather our 4 hogs we ran into a pack of Coyotes they are scary when you run up to 15 of them. We did not shoot them as they had pups with them.

Latest Discussions

Back