Fan randomly turns on.

JetAllen

Reaction score
I own a KC Combo and have had a weird issue turn up. I went outside to look at something on my deck when I noticed that the fan was running on my grill. I made sure the grill was off, then unplugged it, plugged it back in, then went about my day. About 30 minutes later I went back outside and the fan was back on. I know that the fan runs after you turn off the grill, but this was hours later. I contacted Pit bos, they sent me a new control board and a fan. Even after this fix, the fan keeps turning on randomly. My grill is in the sun, and gets quite warm during the day. Could this be a failsafe type of thing when the grill gets too hot when not in use?

I am thinking as long as the grill works during operation just keep it unplugged. But I sure would report the issue to Pit Boss so they are aware of it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I have the grill unplugged when not in use now. Just a wierd bug in the system maybe. I have reported to pit boss

Let us know if you hear back anything curious to know if this is a common issue or if it has happened to anyone else.

I have the Pro 850 and I am also experiencing this same issue. I have contacted lowes which is where I purchased the unit.

I have a Louisiana Grill BLack Label Edition LG800 I bought at Costco this year. We had our first rain storm in Denver and I had it uncovered since I had used is on Sunday, Memorial Day Weekend. On Tuesday morning I got an laert on my phone that it had reached 350 degrees at 9:05AM. I had not turned it on since Tuesday, and I had not used that temperature. I contacted them and I am being sent a new control board also. Their tech told me I should not leave it plugged in. I pointed out to him that it only says to unplug it in the manual if you are doing maintenance on it. The location I have it in my grill counter makes unplugging it and plugging it back in a real PITA. 4 years of a Traeger prior to this and never had an issue. Very dissapointed that an outdoor grill can't handle a little rain. It's going to go back to them and I am going to have to go back to Traegger. Don't care for the fire hazard this presents.

This is an older thread but I wanted to chime in and mention that my KC Combo has done the same thing since I purchased it a year ago. I agree with the first post and believe it's a fail safe that activates when the smoker gets too hot because I've only noticed it on hotter days when it's directly in the sun. I keep my grill covered under the awning but I'm also going to start unplugging it when not in use. Makes me nervous hearing that fan on when it's still covered.

I agree with Mike in Florida
I keep mine unplugged as well now.
Learned the hard way after a lightning strike
I’d keep runnin it until it went out on ya.
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

This is an older thread but I wanted to chime in and mention that my KC Combo has done the same thing since I purchased it a year ago. I agree with the first post and believe it's a fail safe that activates when the smoker gets too hot because I've only noticed it on hotter days when it's directly in the sun. I keep my grill covered under the awning but I'm also going to start unplugging it when not in use. Makes me nervous hearing that fan on when it's still covered.
Mine is unplugged when not in use from day 1.

Latest Discussions

Back