Explosion???

MR Fox

Reaction score
Has anyone had there pit explode? With only the pellet side on I had adjusted the temperature and it seemed to have been losing temperature. Then all of a sudden there was a loud boom and the lid flew open and then the temp went out of control. Up to 400 degrees. Has anyone experienced this.

Scared me. I’m an old school mesquite wood fire type of guy. I figured why not try this new way of bbq. It had been on for 5 hours and I just walked inside the house. It was almost as if it was the propane side.

Im thinking you had a flame out and that's why you were losing heat and then the pit started filling the fire pit with pellets almost as if you were starting up for the first time, and if you didn't have the lid open it can blow up like that. Because of the heavy white smoke. That's my 2 cents but I've only been at this less than a year.

Yep, there are videos of this happening on YouTube. Always keep the door/lid open until you hear the flame start. At start up and during a flame out. This is why you should really never leave these things alone.
I thought one of the pluses for a pellet smoker is you could leave them alone and did not have to babysit them. So you're telling me that I cannot do an overnight smoke without watching it and that really sucks! That is one reason I bought a pillow smoker so I could do long smokes and not babysit it like my wood burner.

I thought one of the pluses for a pellet smoker is you could leave them alone and did not have to babysit them. So you're telling me that I cannot do an overnight smoke without watching it and that really sucks! That is one reason I bought a pillow smoker so I could do long smokes and not babysit it like my wood burner.
Unfortunately that is correct. There are people that do leave them unattended however that could result in big problems. My personal opinion is to air on the side of caution and monitor it. I will say I was under the impression that they were "set it and forget it" when I got mine but although I could get away with it my thought is you never know when you won't. I'm sorry for your frustrations. I hope you can still enjoy it.

if you really need an overnight smoke, buy a wireless temp probe set and you can set an alarm if the temps get out of control. For instance a min/max. My probe set can do that and if it goes below, say, 190 degress the app goes crazy. I have had the explosion happen a couple of times! It's only happened at lower temp settings like P4 or P5.

I’ve had my PB820D for a month and it has happened to me twice already. The first time was my own fault as I unplugged my grill without letting it go through its shutdown procedure. That left unburnt pellets in the burner and when I started cooking the next time it added even more pellets which caused the fire to be smothered, tons of smoke, reignition and an explosion blowing my door open. The next time about 5 hrs into smoking a butt at 250 the temp went down to about 160 and smoke was billowing out. Seconds after it exploded the lid open. I noticed the hopper had for some reason flooded the burner with pellets and when they ignited the temp went over 500 degrees. I had to quickly remove my butt to avoid it being ruined. I love my Pitt Boss but this is scaring my wife and if I can’t get this to stop I’m gonna have to return it. Like I said the 1st time was on me probably but the 2nd time I had a steady setting of 250 and a full hopper of pellets. Any ideas anyone?

Has anyone had there pit explode? With only the pellet side on I had adjusted the temperature and it seemed to have been losing temperature. Then all of a sudden there was a loud boom and the lid flew open and then the temp went out of control. Up to 400 degrees. Has anyone experienced this.
didnt explode but burnt it self to a crisp on the first time ever used..cremated everything bones and all in less than one hour... pit boss not interested at all...walmart took care of it tho... we were lucky it never set the house alight...

Latest Discussions

Back