Error Code HEr

Bobby

Reaction score
Used my new Pit Boss 1000T3 for the first time tonight. Went through the burn in procedure yesterday with no issues.
Attempted to cook 2 steaks tonight and near end of cooking received the error code HEr and the unit shut down. It was set on 400 and working fine. Unit cooked for about 5-7 minutes. Manual does not list this code, so no idea what to do ?

C083FFA7-DD0B-48F8-8A7A-855ECD3E8A24.jpeg

That means it got too hot. It is one of two things. A bad internal thermometer (RTD probe) or a bad controller. Call Pit Boss customer support and leave a call back number they will ship out new parts for free. Tell them what happened. 1-877-303-3134. It is best to call early in the day.

It should not be doing this at 400 degrees.

If it IS the internal RTD probe you can also buy those cheap on Amazon, normally they have one day shipping which is faster than the 8 weeks it took mine to arrive from Pit Boss. I got tired of waiting when this happened to me and I ordered one from Amazon. Just make sure whichever one you get fits your model because there is more than one version. Normally you can look inside your grill to see what you have then look at the image on Amazon.

RTD Probe at Amazon

When the probe arrived from Pit Boss I just saved it as a backup in case it happens again.

That means it got too hot. It is one of two things. A bad internal thermometer (RTD probe) or a bad controller. Call Pit Boss customer support and leave a call back number they will ship out new parts for free. Tell them what happened. 1-877-303-3134. It is best to call early in the day.

If it IS the internal RTD probe you can also buy those cheap on Amazon, normally they have one day shipping which is faster than the 8 weeks it took mine to arrive from Pit Boss. I got tired of waiting when this happened to me and I ordered one from Amazon. Just make sure whichever one you get fits your model because there is more than one version. Normally you can look inside your grill to see what you have then look at the image on Amazon.

RTD Probe at Amazon

When the probe arrived from Pit Boss I just saved it as a backup in case it happens again.
It is such a shame that these Pit Boss grill have SO much trouble, and such poor customer service! I tried hard to own the Lockhart, and tried two, both failed and took a week to even get a reply! Then the reply was we'll send you the parts and you put them on! I went to zgrills, have had mine 3 months now with 20 cooks, hasn't let me down once, and holds temp unbelievably well. I was skeptical about going to a pellet, and Pit Boss almost ruined me on it, but now I'm a believer!

Yeah those ZGrills are nice. Pit Boss is hit or miss, I have two of them and have been very lucky to not really have any issues other than my grill that's 2 years old had a bad RTD probe but I was able to fix it myself and it works better now than it did before.

RTD Probe at Amazon

This happened to me recently. I bought mine used 2 weeks ago and the guy only used it once. I used it once only during a season burn. I cranked it to 300 and everything was good. But I left the cover of the charbroil in the center off and I left it for like 30 mins and it stayed at 330 on the controller for that whole 30 min duration but I came back the thermometer on the top was at like 600 degrees.

Ever since then, when I cook on it I always get this same error code. I cleaned the thermometer of the controller and vacuum out the ash. I set it to smoke on P2 and it'll go above 600F. So you think changing the thermometer or as you call it the RTD probe is the answer and I won't keep getting this stupid error like OP is having? At first I thought maybe it could be due to flare ups from chicken grease, but I've only used it twice, it can't possibly be layered with grease yet causing the error code right? Lastly, does that probe you linked work on the Austin XL?

Yes, the link will work with the Austin XL. I bought the above probe and haven't had any issues since.

I was attempting to smoke a turkey, and got the same error, I could have possibly spilled some basting butter on the sensor, basically unplugged it to shut it off, then plugged back in, and all was well. It has done this to me ( shut down, with or without an error code) making overnight smoking impossible.

This just happened to me. Turned out to be the control board. I would set on 350 and go inside. Come back out to this every time. Sat and watched and turns out if I put it on 350 it starts feeding way too much. Called PIT BOSS and they are sending me a new control board to install. Just FYI.

Latest Discussions

Back