Easy temp fix to 1150 Pro Series 2

Glock19ftw

Reaction score
I finally got my 1150PS2 to have even temperatures across the grates..

I replaced the slotted plate with my 700FB plate with no holes...that makes a huge difference as heat gets through the slots in the middle..

I then used the slotted plate from the 1150 and put it over the firepot as a heat diffuser as I am cheap and wanted to use it for something...works like a charm. I attached the rod to it and can move it around to help even the temp even more.

I usually can get the temps within 10 degrees of the displayed temp.

Hope this helps someone..I have been trial testing it for weeks.

The only thing I have to fix now is why it eats pellets so fast. I seem to be going through more than a lb an hour for the smokes.
20210304_113718.jpg
20210304_113643.jpg
20210304_113541.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210304-113459_Smoke IT.jpg
    Screenshot_20210304-113459_Smoke IT.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 236
Glock19ftw,

Did your 1150PS2 come with a diffuser that had a cut out for the fire pot and sit on top where the two phillips head studs stick out of the fire box tube?

Thanks,
Glock30ftw 😛

Glock19ftw,

Did your 1150PS2 come with a diffuser that had a cut out for the fire pot and sit on top where the two phillips head studs stick out of the fire box tube?

Thanks,
Glock30ftw 😛
Yes I took that sheet of metal out. It was messing with my temperatures. Supposedly from other forums, that metal was added as a request from Lowes / Walmart. If you talk to Pitboss, they recommend taking it out if you are having temperature problems.

Yes I took that sheet of metal out. It was messing with my temperatures. Supposedly from other forums, that metal was added as a request from Lowes / Walmart. If you talk to Pitboss, they recommend taking it out if you are having temperature problems.
Guess you can use it as a tray to bring out the meat to the smoker 😁

I am impressed how even your temperatures are. Once I have made a decision between the Lockhart or the 1600, would be a super happy camper to have such even temps.

I see you have the air gap mod for the broiler/sear plate on the left hand side radius. Did you have to do the right hand side too?

So we can use the smoker with out the diffuser plate? I bought a 1150 this weekend and the diffuser plate was damaged and called pitboss and they told me they were out of stock so i wanted to know if i can still use it with out the diffuser plate.

So we can use the smoker with out the diffuser plate? I bought a 1150 this weekend and the diffuser plate was damaged and called pitboss and they told me they were out of stock so i wanted to know if i can still use it with out the diffuser plate.
Which diffuser plate are you referring to? The half moon metal? That is needed to block the open flame...on the 1150 PS2 there is a thin metal that is at the bottom of the grill and goes around the firepit...that can be removed. Hope that makes sense

Which diffuser plate are you referring to? The half moon metal? That is needed to block the open flame...on the 1150 PS2 there is a thin metal that is at the bottom of the grill and goes around the firepit...that can be removed. Hope that makes sense
Yeah it the one that sit on top of the fire box the on that has the two screw, thats the one that’s damaged and was wondering if i can use it wit out it.

Yeah it the one that sit on top of the fire box the on that has the two screw, thats the one that’s damaged and was wondering if i can use it wit out it.
Yes I have never used mine...it messed with my temperatures

i drew up a solid 3/16" thick plate with possible add on of 1/4" center plates I'm figuring around 100$ for a local fab shop to cut and bend 3/16" is running 12$ per ft. Hopefully it will help even out temps

Attachments

• heat plate.PNG
    heat plate.PNG
    232 KB · Views: 97

I replaced the slotted plate with my 700FB plate with no holes...that makes a huge difference as heat gets through the slots in the middle..

I then used the slotted plate from the 1150 and put it over the firepot as a heat diffuser as I am cheap and wanted to use it for something...works like a charm. I attached the rod to it and can move it around to help even the temp even more.

The only thing I have to fix now is why it eats pellets so fast. I seem to be going through more than a lb an hour for the smokes.View attachment 910View attachment 911View attachment 912
Are you still able to use the sear function with that in place over the firepot or do you need to slide it out of the way?

i drew up a solid 3/16" thick plate with possible add on of 1/4" center plates I'm figuring around 100$ for a local fab shop to cut and bend 3/16" is running 12$ per ft. Hopefully it will help even out temps
looks like a sketch-up image

The only thing I have to fix now is why it eats pellets so fast. I seem to be going through more than a lb an hour for the smokes.View attachment 910View attachment 911View attachment 912
So how do you sear of the plate on top is solid?

my question is the same as @Kp33, how do I close my sear slits if I don’t have an old smoker (I assume that is what the 700FB heat plate is)? Will covering with foil work? Also do I need to use the slotted slide plate as a heat diffuser? Does it help much?

It's not clear to me how that sketch fits over the fire pot and/or if it replaces the existing main plate. Is this goes under the current main plate, there needs to be a gap on the sides like the current one has for the smoke to rise. If this replaces the current main plate then it needs to be sloped to have the grease drain into the grease bucket.

Maybe you can expand a little on your diffuser plate and how you see it fitting in the grill?

Latest Discussions

Back