Crispy chicken skin?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
This is one area where I need improvement. Most of the time when I smoke chicken on the pellet grill or the vertical smoker I get rubbery skin. Sometimes I will get it just right with crispy skin but that seems to be a rare event.

Today I am going to try some bone-in chicken breasts with skin and see what I can do. I read on another forum that if you put mayo on the skin it will help get it crispy. Put in on top of the skin and under. I am going to use Rib Rack Chicken rub and might use Pit Boss Sweet Heat on one of them.

I have been trying to get perfect chicken and so far no luck. While all of it is good the skin is an issue. So I will try mayo and see how it turns out. I also saw a video where a guy does them on his vertical smoker at 275 until the chicken hits 165. Then he sprays it with butter spray, turns it skin side down and cranks up the vertical smoker on high until the internal temps hit 180.

Here is the video where he does chicken thighs. FF to 7:35 or so, the first half is chicken prep and I just wanted to see how he did it.

This is one area where I need improvement. Most of the time when I smoke chicken on the pellet grill or the vertical smoker I get rubbery skin. Sometimes I will get it just right with crispy skin but that seems to be a rare event.

Today I am going to try some bone-in chicken breasts with skin and see what I can do. I read on another forum that if you put mayo on the skin it will help get it crispy. Put in on top of the skin and under. I am going to use Rib Rack Chicken rub and might use Pit Boss Sweet Heat on one of them.

I have been trying to get perfect chicken and so far no luck. While all of it is good the skin is an issue. So I will try mayo and see how it turns out. I also saw a video where a guy does them on his vertical smoker at 275 until the chicken hits 165. Then he sprays it with butter spray, turns it skin side down and cranks up the vertical smoker on high until the internal temps hit 180.

Here is the video where he does chicken thighs. FF to 7:35 or so, the first half is chicken prep and I just wanted to see how he did it.

My buddy uses EVOO on and under the skin, I am more of a Paula Dean type and use butter on and under the skin. We both cook at 400 ( I know not really smoking) and get that awesome crunchy skin.

Attachments

• 8682E6A4-BE55-4262-AAD2-C1B3B4C3CC14.jpeg
    8682E6A4-BE55-4262-AAD2-C1B3B4C3CC14.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 30
I'm gonna try 275 today with mayo on and under the skin and then crank up to high heat. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Last edited:
I have had all the chicken I've done so far come out with very crispy skin.
I have done the whole bird lightly seasoned on smoke setting 2 hours with a couple spritzes of AJ then turned it up to 350 and finished until 165 - 170 degrees inside.
I spritz with apple juice about every 1/2 hour on the 350 setting. Skin comes out like bacon.

Attachments

• 20201205_133929.jpg
    20201205_133929.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 20201205_175911.jpg
    20201205_175911.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 91
I have had all the chicken I've done so far come out with very crispy skin.
I have done the whole bird lightly seasoned on smoke setting 2 hours with a couple spritzes of AJ then turned it up to 350 and finished until 165 - 170 degrees inside.
I spritz with apple juice about every 1/2 hour on the 350 setting. Skin comes out like bacon.
I have to try the apple juice spritzing this weekend never thought of it thanks for the tip. I can eat chicken everyday, but my wife cannot as my favorite is always fried chicken. You know fried chicken is not heallthy so I tend to have it a few times a year.

I have to try the apple juice spritzing this weekend never thought of it thanks for the tip. I can eat chicken everyday, but my wife cannot as my favorite is always fried chicken. You know fried chicken is not heallthy so I tend to have it a few times a year.
hard to beat good fried chicken! hard to find too!
good luck on the chicken skin, let us know how it goes with the AJ spritz.

Got them on now, started at 275 but they would be done too early so internal temp at 100 and I dropped it to 175. When they get close to 155 or so I will crank it up and place them skin side down.

hard to beat good fried chicken! hard to find too!
good luck on the chicken skin, let us know how it goes with the AJ spritz.
I am in Nashville and I can find several places with some great fried chicken...dang it now I want some fried chicken.

Got them on now, started at 275 but they would be done too early so internal temp at 100 and I dropped it to 175. When they get close to 155 or so I will crank it up and place them skin side down.
I would do it skin up, try apple juice spritzing while on high every 1/2 hour.
to each his own.

I guess I'm lucky as I have not had a problem with the skin. I cook at 250 until I get the IT to around 140, or so, then jack the temp up to 350 until done. Done for me is 175 in the thigh joint. No spritzing, no butter etc. Though I due put olive oli on before my rub.
OBTW, I cook it beer butt style.

I guess I'm lucky as I have not had a problem with the skin. I cook at 250 until I get the IT to around 140, or so, then jack the temp up to 350 until done. Done for me is 175 in the thigh joint. No spritzing, no butter etc. Though I due put olive oli on before my rub.
OBTW, I cook it beer butt style.

I am curious on the beer style. So how does it actually work I heard about it?

IMG_20201208_162353429.jpg

Turned out pretty good and crispy. No spritzing needed because my vertical has a water pan. I used mayo as a binder and that seemed to do the trick. I did have to crank it up near the end but that's just because it was taking longer than I expected and my youngest daughter (10) is diabetic and has to eat at certain times of the day so I needed to get it done. Put it on 400 the last 10 min then let the chicken rest for 5 min. Turned out great. Used apple pellets.

I am curious on the beer style. So how does it actually work I heard about it?
I believe Elton Brown has shown several times that cooking beer butt style with actual liquid in the can done does not actually add more moisture to the meat I don't even use a can, just the rack. I like it because it elevates the chicken off the grill and allows it to be completely surrounded by the smoke. I believe I get a more even cooking that way.

Latest Discussions

Back