Copperhead Temperature Issues

colegadd

Reaction score
How’s it going? Found some similar issues but nothing quite exact. I have a vertical copperhead smoker. It keeps tripping out on erh. I cleaned the probe, though it wasn’t dirty. Still going high temp. I plugged in and put one of the meat probes right next to the RTD sensor to verify the temp. At times they match up, but then the RTD temp will spike up and climb until it trips. When it spikes, each number of the temp has a period in between them (doesn’t usually, not sure if this means anything). When the smoker shuts off, eventually the RTD temp comes down and matches the probe temp. What does everyone think is the issue? Everything I read says RTD probe or control board, not sure how to figure which it is.

I wish there was some way to run these things in manual. I’m stuck with a half cooked brisket in my smoker.

How’s it going? Found some similar issues but nothing quite exact. I have a vertical copperhead smoker. It keeps tripping out on erh. I cleaned the probe, though it wasn’t dirty. Still going high temp. I plugged in and put one of the meat probes right next to the RTD sensor to verify the temp. At times they match up, but then the RTD temp will spike up and climb until it trips. When it spikes, each number of the temp has a period in between them (doesn’t usually, not sure if this means anything). When the smoker shuts off, eventually the RTD temp comes down and matches the probe temp. What does everyone think is the issue? Everything I read says RTD probe or control board, not sure how to figure which it is.

I wish there was some way to run these things in manual. I’m stuck with a half cooked brisket in my smoker.
Erh is an overheating issue.
Since you’ve cleaned the temperature sensor have you ever had a grease fire?

Never had a grease fire. All cleaned up. Normal flame level. Now it’s doing something different. I’ll be targeting 200 or so and the temp will just keep going up slowly until it trips. Before it would go from 250 right to the trip point immediately.

I have a meat thermometer that tells internal temp and external temp. I thought the external was reading wrong cause it was saying the temp in the smoker was 160ish when the display for the smoker was saying 200-400. I just stuck the meat in the oven and now the external temp is reading 350-400 with the oven at 350. Temp on the smoker definitely wasn’t right

Have you spoken to pitboss support?
Could be a controller issue
It would be worth checking into
Let me know what you find out

Have you spoken to pitboss support?
Could be a controller issue
It would be worth checking into
Let me know what you find out
I have not spoken to PitBoss, just happened today. I ordered a new temp probe. I’ll give them a call at some point. The temp reading was way off, the RTD sensor on the display was saying 300 or whatever when it was actually mid 100’s

Latest Discussions

Back