Copperhead Series 3 Smoking Intervals

tampasmoker

Reaction score
Hello! New to the pit boss smoker line and new to these forums (I've already picked up a ton of great information, so thank you all!)...

I have a quick question for you all - I noticed that my Copperhead Series 3 Pellet smoker only smokes on certain intervals (smoke comes out once every 3-5 minutes or so for about 30'ish seconds) - is this by design, or is there a setting I'm missing? I haven't seen anything on these forums or in my owners manual, apologize if I missed this somewhere. The temperature seems to be holding steady and I'm wondering if it's just the auger interval.

Any guidance or feedback would be appreciated! I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with this thing and I shouldn't be seeing continuous smoke.

Hello! New to the pit boss smoker line and new to these forums (I've already picked up a ton of great information, so thank you all!)...

I have a quick question for you all - I noticed that my Copperhead Series 3 Pellet smoker only smokes on certain intervals (smoke comes out once every 3-5 minutes or so for about 30'ish seconds) - is this by design, or is there a setting I'm missing? I haven't seen anything on these forums or in my owners manual, apologize if I missed this somewhere. The temperature seems to be holding steady and I'm wondering if it's just the auger interval.

Any guidance or feedback would be appreciated! I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with this thing and I shouldn't be seeing continuous smoke.
Your correct. The smoke is right after the auger added some pellets to the fire pot to maintain or increase the temperature some. As the pellets light there will be less smoke until the controller calls for more pellets to be added.

Basically you get the best smoke on anything under the 250 setting. I have the Copperhead Series 3 as well. I normally start off everything on "S" for at least 90 min to 2 hours. After that I pick a temp that suits my needs.

Perfecto, thank you for the responses - this is exactly what I'm seeing. The lower I put the temp the more smoke and it did appear that the auger would add pellets and therefor smoke on an interval, and it doesn't run continuous.

Definitely going to try the "S"/Smoke option for the next batch I cook.

Again, thanks for the quick responses all!

And never go by time. Always by internal temp. The lower you cook the more smoke but the longer it will take to cook. Even when doing something small like pork chops I will put them on smoke mode for 2 or 3 hours. Then turn it up when I am ready for them to get done faster.

And never go by time. Always by internal temp. The lower you cook the more smoke but the longer it will take to cook. Even when doing something small like pork chops I will put them on smoke mode for 2 or 3 hours. Then turn it up when I am ready for them to get done faster.

This is great advice - I've always had my firebox smoker and tended to the fire/spent half my day babysitting due to changing weather conditions or smoke profile. I love that I get a lot of freedom back with the pellet smoker. Also, made the best ribs of my life last night.

Back