Controlling Temperature

Breowt

Reaction score
I just purchased a brand new Pit Boss Pellet smoker and used it twice. Each time I use it I am have trouble keeping it at the temperature it is set to. It either goes way below and or too high. I followed the start up process to a T but cant seem to get the temp under control. I called the Pit Boss customer service line and they recommended that I lower the P setting from the default P4 to P3 or P2. That didn't seem to work. Any advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks

I'm having problems also. PB customer service tells me to take the bottom off of the control panel and cross the red and yellow wires and turn on. If it works, swap them back. Now my auger runs constantly and I can't use the grill. I wish I hadn't bought it.

If you swap them back? what does it do? If its broken, You can get warranty claim done. Mine at least has a 5 year warranty.

Out of the box the auger didn't turn. the wire swap got it to work. Swaped them back and it worked for about three events. Then it had a runaway event and ruined my brisket. Changed the P setting and it worked for one event. Now the auger runs constantly..
It's raining here now and I'm not going to mess with it.

Out of the box the auger didn't turn. the wire swap got it to work. Swaped them back and it worked for about three events. Then it had a runaway event and ruined my brisket. Changed the P setting and it worked for one event. Now the auger runs constantly..
It's raining here now and I'm not going to mess with it.

Get a warranty claim done on it then and have them send you another unit.

I'm having problems also. PB customer service tells me to take the bottom off of the control panel and cross the red and yellow wires and turn on. If it works, swap them back. Now my auger runs constantly and I can't use the grill. I wish I hadn't bought it.

I am definitely not going to mess with wires. I will put a warranty claim in to ge3t a new one. Maybe the one I have is defective.

Did you ever get this resolved? I JUST purchased a new PIT BOSS PRO combo and setting the temp one the smoker side to 250 yields about 195/200. If I go to 300 it runs right up to 300 and is too high at that point. Anyone have any ideas? I will take some temp swing but over 50 degrees is crazy.

PB sent me a new control panel and I haven't put in. I wish I had never bought this grill. The wiring is a birds nest.

I have owned 5 different brand pellet grills and all of them including my Pro Series 1100 ran exactly the same and what is interesting is the PS 1100 was the cheapest of them all. The performance was identical I am not a type of person that is a fanboy of a product, but temp swings are so common among all Pellet grills including the PID controllers. Make sure you use your warranty if you have issues also weather like wind plays a role, make sure your grill is level, and decent brand of pellets. It is common to set your temp at 225 degrees and see it jumped to 250 then it will dropped to 225 . If you set it to 225 degrees and the temp is at 300 degrees and stays at 300 degrees then their is an issue.

Not sure if it was my first run on the smoker or what but since my reply post above my smoker has seemed to level out for temps. Its staying within range now by 10-15 degrees......I can manage and accept that.

Mine has been brilliant! It produces perfectly smoked and reverse seared steaks, beautiful smoked ribs, briskets and pork shoulder that will bring tears to y’all eyes!

When it wants to be... other times it will run away to 500 degrees, or stall, flame out and not reignite. It doesn’t seem to matter if I clean the fire pot every time it’s used, (poor design if that is indeed a requirement) or if I clean it every 10th time.

These are finicky beasts, assembled using parts sourced from the lowest bidder and as such are like enlisted men in forces around the world; “stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

My pellet smoker would bonce 100 degrees from set point then go to 500 degrees and go off on error code. PB said to blend different pellets to try and solve the problem then it was make sure the top vent was open all the way. Found the threads were stripped out on top vent and would not allow full open. took it off and fixed that still had the problem of temp swing and shut down after couple hours. They finely set out a new control and thermocouple now have to install and try it out. Has taken all summer to try to get fixed I hope this works if not will trash the thing.

got the new controller and temp probe. It took about an hour to put in. After i finished the install did a dry run with it and the temp stayed within 10 degrees but mostly stable at the set point. Ran it for about two hours for the test. Now the next run will be with ribs or shoulder.

I have issues with the temp. But I have read if you get stable temp you dont get smoke. I was going to buy and upgrade control brd and I e mailed the company and asked about that and he said if you want stable temp you will get little smoke so I did not buy the brd. I like my smoke.

I have issues with the temp. But I have read if you get stable temp you dont get smoke. I was going to buy and upgrade control brd and I e mailed the company and asked about that and he said if you want stable temp you will get little smoke so I did not buy the brd. I like my smoke.

Wow that does not make any sense at all. Are you telling me that when you go to competitions and these guys have there stick burners running at 200 - 205 consistent and they are not going to get any smoke?

I am curious who is the company that told you that story.

Latest Discussions

Back