Control module

Don Couch

Reaction score
So I replaced the control module on my 800 series grill. I didn't mark the connectors and now the unit fires up then will shut down after 3 to 5 minutes. If I turn it off then right back on it will continue to run for the 3 to 5 minutes. Can someone post a pick of the correct way to reconnect to connectors. Please.

So I replaced the control module on my 800 series grill. I didn't mark the connectors and now the unit fires up then will shut down after 3 to 5 minutes. If I turn it off then right back on it will continue to run for the 3 to 5 minutes. Can someone post a pick of the correct way to reconnect to connectors. Please.
I'm not sure what kind of controller is on the 800-series. I've got an Austin XL where I just replaced the control board. My understanding is that it is mostly color-coded:

Yellow wire from control board goes to double yellow wire that goes to fan
Red wire from control board goes to double red wire that goes to auger
Purple wire from control board goes to ignitor (not sure what color - maybe double white? I can't tell)
Black/red pair from control board goes to temp probe

Not sure if this is helpful or not. I've got pictures of mine, but everything was still zip-tied, so it isn't very useful.

My 820 is color coded

From the manual that Tim attached, for easier reference:

2022-09-15 13_34_10-Window.png

No error code it just stopped pushing pellets in to the fire pot. Simply turn it off then right back on and it takes right off. I keep the unit clean and have never had any issues before this. The model # 820 FB.

So I found the owners manual and it has a wire diagram in it. The only issue is the new digital control module does not have a green wire as noted in the diagram. It has the white, black, purple, yellow and a red. so I hooked the red wire to the two green wires yellow to the two yellow and purple to the two white wires. I installed the new temp sensor and wired in the two wires to the board. After running the temp sensor, I closed everything up put in fresh pellets and fired her up. It started ran for three minutes and the auger stopped working threw a ErR code which is "temperature probe wire not making connection" and the auger stopped working but the blower stays on. I'm about to strap a 1/4# of taenite to it and blow it up LOL.
pic #1 shows the red to grn./grn. pic #2 is the module pic #3 is the wiring connectors and pic #4 is the owners manual noting the red wire as green.
So any ideas before I give up and buy a Traeger? I mean I need to replace flame broiler and slider and 3 grates on top of whatever i need just to get it working again.

tempPXL_20220919_213138950.jpgPXL_20220919_213004654.jpgInkedPXL_20220919_213058995.jpgPXL_20220919_222551784.jpg

So I found the owners manual and it has a wire diagram in it. The only issue is the new digital control module does not have a green wire as noted in the diagram. It has the white, black, purple, yellow and a red. so I hooked the red wire to the two green wires yellow to the two yellow and purple to the two white wires. I installed the new temp sensor and wired in the two wires to the board. After running the temp sensor, I closed everything up put in fresh pellets and fired her up. It started ran for three minutes and the auger stopped working threw a ErR code which is "temperature probe wire not making connection" and the auger stopped working but the blower stays on. I'm about to strap a 1/4# of taenite to it and blow it up LOL.
pic #1 shows the red to grn./grn. pic #2 is the module pic #3 is the wiring connectors and pic #4 is the owners manual noting the red wire as green.
So any ideas before I give up and buy a Traeger? I mean I need to replace flame broiler and slider and 3 grates on top of whatever i need just to get it working again.

tempView attachment 3183View attachment 3184View attachment 3188View attachment 3187
I would call customer support with those pictures, a wiring diagram should of came with it and instructions.

I agree that your wiring connections look correct. I'm assuming at some point PB changed the wires going to the auger motor from double green to double red.

Just recently, there was another person on this forum that had a similar issue. Replaced their controller and then they started getting the temp probe error. I can't remember if it was a coincidence or if he thought he damaged the temp probe wiring/harness while he was swapping controllers. Either way, a new temp probe fixed the problem (if I remember correctly). Now the challenge will be getting through to customer service to get a new probe, or just ordering one from elsewhere. Is your grill still under warranty?

Thanks seems like PB has some quality issues with their suppliers that they need to work out. Found a new PB1000T4 just not sure I want to pull the trigger on a PB.

Latest Discussions

Back