Cold weather instation

Kitchen

Reaction score
Hi all!
Being up near Buffalo, I've been wondering if anyone has ideas for an insulating blanket for their vertical smoker. I've seen several for other smokers, but not ones for my Pro Series Style. There is a Master built online and is extremely small, but I'm wondering about making my own. Thoughts? Fire hazards? I need my smoked meats in winter!!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-064633.png
    Screenshot_20211113-064633.png
    998.6 KB · Views: 166
I have the PBV4PS2 which is insulated to start with. I smoke year round and I keep it out of the winter winds. It really is night and day being out of the wind on a cold day.

Yeah like the guys said a welding blanket will do the trick. Gotta have smoked snacks for the Bills games 🏈

I need some protection for my PBV4PS2. I did a smoke the other weekend in 36 degree weather and it seemed to struggle getting and keeping temp. I think the biggest problem is the wind

Cold winter winds will do that, you have any building that would block some or all of the wind? Try setting the temperature higher to compensate?

I have vertical series 4. It’s pseudo-insulated on the sides in that there is a space between outside shell and inside shell for heat/smoke to travel from the burn chamber/fan; and then there are vents in inner shell to bring this heated air to food. So it’s better than single wall chamber. However: it still will cool down the heated/smoky air. Also: the front door is glass (not insulated). Actually the best insulated part is the hopper. It has big air gap and no air flow; and if filled with pellets, even more thermal barrier.
I use a 4 ft x 6 ft welding blanket I bought on Amazon. I use a zip tie on top two grommets, and have it hang from chimney. When I need to get into smoker, I just rotate it away from door .
Works great

Attachments

• 8FD70FAF-7665-44DE-A445-99D9F1D71AF7.jpeg
    8FD70FAF-7665-44DE-A445-99D9F1D71AF7.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 123
  • E46BDEE9-22D5-479C-BE43-2BF956814FC3.jpeg
    E46BDEE9-22D5-479C-BE43-2BF956814FC3.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 3301ED9A-73DA-45E6-B18F-9509386C1D28.jpeg
    3301ED9A-73DA-45E6-B18F-9509386C1D28.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 121
I have vertical series 4. It’s pseudo-insulated on the sides in that there is a space between outside shell and inside shell for heat/smoke to travel from the burn chamber/fan; and then there are vents in inner shell to bring this heated air to food. So it’s better than single wall chamber. However: it still will cool down the heated/smoky air. Also: the front door is glass (not insulated). Actually the best insulated part is the hopper. It has big air gap and no air flow; and if filled with pellets, even more thermal barrier.
I use a 4 ft x 6 ft welding blanket I bought on Amazon. I use a zip tie on top two grommets, and have it hang from chimney. When I need to get into smoker, I just rotate it away from door .
Works great
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I did a.smoke yesterday, temp low 30s, slight breeze. No blanket but by futzing with the settings I was able to keep the inside temperature where I needed it. I use a second thermometer that hangs off the grate and is visible through the glass on the door.

I wanted to try an 'over the top chili' this Friday the 7th, for weekend food. The high temperature is forecasted to be only 15 degrees. So far i've done a few 'cold weather' smokes, and am finding that in the low 40's or upper 30's getting to temp is slow but steady and fairly consistent depending on wind. below that 30-38ish mark, and it takes a lot longer to get to and hold temp consistently. I haven't done anything in the teens yet. I have no wind or temp protection, but I think i'm going to give it a shot. I'll report back with results.

Last edited:
It has been said already, but get a welding blanket with grommets and jimmy rig it to the smoker with zip ties or rope (make sure it's a type that won't met) or bungees or carabiners. You get the idea. If it gets to flapping in the wind, think about maybe putting some weight on the lower grommets.

Oh, and....

GO BILLS!

It has been said already, but get a welding blanket with grommets and jimmy rig it to the smoker with zip ties or rope (make sure it's a type that won't met) or bungees or carabiners. You get the idea. If it gets to flapping in the wind, think about maybe putting some weight on the lower grommets.

Oh, and....

GO BILLS!
On the verticals, is soo much easier to booster the temp up a little when it's cold out. Their insulated.

Latest Discussions

Back