Cold Smoke

Smoke1

Reaction score
I have a pit boss vertical smoker. Can I use the smoke mode to cold smoke or will the smoker get to hot? Thanks

I believe it will get too hot. It will fluctuate from 145-165. The best way to do a cold smoke in a vertical is to buy a pellet tube. Leave the unit off, light the tube, let it burn 5-8 minutes then blow it out like a candle and it will start to smoke. Put it in the smoker and close the door and you will have your cold smoke.

Pellet Tube at Amazon

I believe it will get too hot. It will fluctuate from 145-165. The best way to do a cold smoke in a vertical is to buy a pellet tube. Leave the unit off, light the tube, let it burn 5-8 minutes then blow it out like a candle and it will start to smoke. Put it in the smoker and close the door and you will have your cold smoke.

Pellet Tube at Amazon

Thanks. I thought it would get to hot. Did a smoke cheese today using the A-Maze_n Pellet Smoker. On another note how long can one cook in the smoke mode for a normal cook. Trying to get more of smoke on a long slow cook.
Thanks

On the smoke setting your meat will never get done but I have done thick bone-in pork chops for 6 hours on the smoke setting just to try it out and had some pretty good smoke flavor. Then cranked it up to finish them off.

On the smoke setting your meat will never get done but I have done thick bone-in pork chops for 6 hours on the smoke setting just to try it out and had some pretty good smoke flavor. Then cranked it up to finish them off.
That's what I had in mind. Let it set in smoke mode for a couple hours then crank up to around 225 to finish. Still new to pellet smoking (bought this for my lazy smoke days). Trying to get it least half of the smoke flavor like my charcoal / wood smoker produce.

I enjoy a long pork chop smoke. Try it out sometime, get some thick chops and put them on the smoke setting for 6 hours then crank up the temp and finish them off. I have gotten some good smoke flavor like that but still probably not as much smoke as a stick burner.

My vertical Pit Boss does a better job smoking that my Pit Boss grill and I have done 10 hour pork butts but sometimes I miscalculate the time and completely miss dinner because it isn't up to internal temp on the meat. When that happens we just save it and have it the next day.

how about using the smoke tube just half full to get some smoke for something on the grill? how will it work if not packed tight or how to pack it tight?

I've tried mine half full and it burned out. Have tried it twice and it only seems to work when packed full. However, they do make and sell and smaller tube about half the size that will smoke for 2 hours. Just do a search on Amazon or somewhere for a smaller tube.

Back