Cleaning

Bluedog

Reaction score
I have a new Pro2 850 and have cooked in order: chicken half’s, rib eyes, and rib racks. All came out great. But how to clean the grates, slider plate, and what do you call it - the main heat shield? I put them in my shower and sprayed them down with Traeger grate cleaner. Sprayed them down with hot water. What a mess. My wife suggested getting some plastic sheeting to use to clean in my gravel drive and then wrap the sheeting up and toss. I don’t want to let the grease crap hit the ground as my dogs will zero it on it. Looking for good suggestions. Thanks

I use cheap oven cleaner spray them down let soak. Then brush and hose off. I keep the slide plate and shield wrapped in foil.

I have a new Pro2 850 and have cooked in order: chicken half’s, rib eyes, and rib racks. All came out great. But how to clean the grates, slider plate, and what do you call it - the main heat shield? I put them in my shower and sprayed them down with Traeger grate cleaner. Sprayed them down with hot water. What a mess. My wife suggested getting some plastic sheeting to use to clean in my gravel drive and then wrap the sheeting up and toss. I don’t want to let the grease crap hit the ground as my dogs will zero it on it. Looking for good suggestions. Thanks
Car wash is an option
Hopefully this helps you 🇺🇸🇺🇸

Don't know if this is right or wrong, but I burn off my smoker any time I use it for something that's going to have much fat dripping from it. At the end of the cook, I jack the temp up to 400+ and let it run for 30-60 minutes. This pretty much incinerates whatever grease and goop that's in it. Then before my next cook, I scrape it all out with a metal paint scraper, vacuum it out real good, and spray it with Pam canola spray. This works for me. YMMV

I just asked about this in a thread I started. First I put the grates in a 5 gal bucket with Dawn. They only fit 2/3 way in. Then I scrape down the shields and scrub them with a coarse sponge and Dawn. Then I flip the grates and use the sponge then flip again and use the sponge. Spray and let dry. Then scrape and vacuum the pit.

As far as where to dump the liquid, could you dig a pit the size of a garbage can lid and fill it with sand and gravel? You could dump the liquid in there and cover it with the lid. Dawn disintegrates and I doubt you'll do too much damage with the grease, which bugs should eat anyway.

My grates and surfaces seem to have enough drippy gunk that I just wipe/scrubdown/fingernail scratch with a handfull of paper towels (rubber gloves) with the trashcan right next to me.

Use a plastic putty knife on the flats like the burner plate etc.

Seems simple and leaves a slight coating of grease on them for the next cook. Mine are a bit new so maybe its just real easy right now.

We use straight degreaser concentrate (don't dilute it). Much easier on the lungs and hands than oven cleaner. Spray them down, let them sit for a few minutes, quick brush and rinse the whole mess down the drain.

We use the same degreaser to clean the insides of the smokers. spray it on, wipe it off (have to be careful because it melts creosote so fast it drips out the door of the smoker).

I am sure there are lots of degreasers that work - we use this one https://www.smartandfinal.com/shop/...aner-degreaser-heavy-duty-concentrated/667578
Not saying it is the best, only that it is cheap and what we use.

Each time before I cook I run the smoker for 1/2 hour to incinerate any germs, etc. When there is a build up on the slider and main burner cover, I use a putty knife and scrape off.

Latest Discussions

Back