Cleaning tips?

nvhunter

Reaction score
Anybody have any tips for cleaning their vertical smoker? Share your process, what do you use to cut the grease?

How well does the pitboss stuff work?

Anybody have any tips for cleaning their vertical smoker? Share your process, what do you use to cut the grease?

I do a burn off after any cook that generates slop. Once it's cool I wire brush off the racks and any of the black and hardened material is in the inside.
Have a glass door so when it gets a lot of smoke on it I clean that off so I can see what's going on on the inside. At the same time I'll clean off the temp probe that's in there. I use a standard oven cleaner for that.
Sometimes there's slop that gets on the outside so I use an oven cleaner for that too.
To clear the dust and debris out of the inside I just wheel the smoker to the edge of the driveway, open the door facing the side yard and then fire up my leaf blower that has an adjustable throttle, that seems to do the trick for me.

This works great and you can get it at Dollar General or Family Dollar.

LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

Cleans a vertical very nice including the glass on the door.

Just a tip from a previous thread: Do NOT use convertible top cleaner to clean your grill. It's very expensive and while it does clean convertible tops it does not clean pellet smokers :ROFLMAO:

Yes, from personal experience when I grabbed the wrong cleaner bottle.

I've found Weber Grate & Grill cleaner works well. the wife bought it directly from Weber a few years ago as a kit. haven't been able to find it anywhere but recently found it in Lowes. It does a better job than any other cleaner I've tried. Have not tried the Pitboss stuff.

Currently doing a burn off. The smoke coming out the top is from residue getting incinerated.
Once the smoke stops the burn off is done.
IMG_20220331_160127929.jpg

Last edited:
This works great and you can get it at Dollar General or Family Dollar.

LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner

Cleans a vertical very nice including the glass on the door.

Just a tip from a previous thread: Do NOT use convertible top cleaner to clean your grill. It's very expensive and while it does clean convertible tops it does not clean pellet smokers :ROFLMAO:

Yes, from personal experience when I grabbed the wrong cleaner bottle.
This is what I use. It's dirt cheap and works almost like magic.

For the grates and such, I bought a tote from Target that everything fits in. I put some dish soap and fill with water and soak -- then scrub with plastic brush.

Grill is covered in smoky grease residue so when I take it apart I just scrub it down hard with paper towels and presto, every thing is cleaned.

(requires trash barrel to be next to you, rubber gloves highly recommended.)

Plastic putty knife for the heavy grease/debris in the bottom.

Portable vac for a quick hit for the fire cup ash.

Probably an easy 15 minutes or less.

EDIT: Im going to swing by the dollar store and try said cleaner mentioned above. :)

Latest Discussions

Back