Clean the heat deflector after every cook (yes/no)?

jf831024

Reaction score
Ok, I have searched the forum and thumbed through several pages to see if this has been addressed (I'm sure it has), just could not find it.
The question I have is, do you pull & clean all the gook that builds up on the heat deflector after every cook or just do a burn off and wipe up as much as you can after?
When I say clean, I mean I pressure wash mine until its completely clear of all burnt on debris.
*NOTE* I have seasoned the deflector with avocado oil, so I know if I pull and clean it will lose this coating.

Appreciate any and all opinions/suggestions.

Jerry

NO. I do a high temp burn after a long cook to get most of the grease to flow to the bucket.
The plate/deflector then has charred debris on it.
On my next cook, I use a 6" drywall knife to scrape the debris off and over the edges to the bottom of the smoker.
Have not had a problem with losing paint.

Then as always, I use my shop vac to vacuum the burn pot and the ash and debris from inside the bottom of the cabinet.
No greasy smell to linger.
I store mine in my garage and roll it out when using.

Same, seasoning is flavor. Many use foil to make things easier. I've tried both and I think it all comes down to whether you spend your time foiling or making a couple of swipes with a scraper. I just try to make sure that my food isn't too close to the front or back so most makes it's way to the trap.

Ok, I have searched the forum and thumbed through several pages to see if this has been addressed (I'm sure it has), just could not find it.
The question I have is, do you pull & clean all the gook that builds up on the heat deflector after every cook or just do a burn off and wipe up as much as you can after?
When I say clean, I mean I pressure wash mine until its completely clear of all burnt on debris.
*NOTE* I have seasoned the deflector with avocado oil, so I know if I pull and clean it will lose this coating.

Appreciate any and all opinions/suggestions.

Jerry
I always use two 9x13" aluminum pans with a smoke tube between them. I throw them away after every cook.....they are only 88 cents for two at Walmart! Absolutely minimal clean up of the heat deflector....and no grease in the cup....it all collects in the pan. And the tube provides so much more extra smoke...works wonderfully.
1618318456627.png

I always use two 9x13" aluminum pans with a smoke tube between them. I throw them away after every cook.....they are only 88 cents for two at Walmart! Absolutely minimal clean up of the heat deflector....and no grease in the cup....it all collects in the pan. And the tube provides so much more extra smoke...works wonderfully.
View attachment 1041
glad to see I am not the only one with a thermometer fetish :)

I foil mine unless i'm cooking over a foil baking pan.
I never use the sear thing and the little mod. I did to the broiler plate makes foiling it very easy, it's all smooth.
Vacuum all ash out before every cook!
And make sure grease track is clear.
All is good but I think I need a new igniter.

I have an old broiler pan that came with my stove in the kitchen that I use in my smoker, it is the perfect size that leaves about a 1 inch space all the around the pan and i also add water to it for more moister in the smoker
All great info thanks yall new pit boss owner here ive cooked on it three times cleaned it three times im ocd with grill cleaning lol

Latest Discussions

Back