Christmas Brisket

I am doing a Prime Rib, I will be cooking it on my Yoder not my Pit Boss as I am back to the original controller due to the Rec-Tec controller was damage by myself as I was moving my flat trailer and I swung it into the grill right at the hopper. Notice that the corner of the trailer smashed the LCD screen and it does not work anymore.

I am going to buy a SmokeDaddy controller without the WiFi after the holidays since I have never tried his before so this is a good excuse to get one now.

I am doing a Prime Rib, I will be cooking it on my Yoder not my Pit Boss as I am back to the original controller due to the Rec-Tec controller was damage by myself as I was moving my flat trailer and I swung it into the grill right at the hopper. Notice that the corner of the trailer smashed the LCD screen and it does not work anymore.

I am going to buy a SmokeDaddy controller without the WiFi after the holidays since I have never tried his before so this is a good excuse to get one now.
Sounds like the kinda luck I have. At least you have options.

I’ve got a brisket on now also.... although this is only my second piece of meat on my new 850 and I can’t get it to produce an ounce of Whisp of smoke... not sure how it’s gonna turn out 🤷🏻‍♂️

Surely it’s smoking. But if you are use to smoking on a stick burner, it’s definitely not the same. Your not going to get that heavy smoke. It’s very faint, at least in mine it is. From time to time I’ll see a heavy puff of smoke but not very often. Hope it turns out for you. It’s 4:30 am now, mine has been on for about 8 hours. Turned the temperature to 350 and about to wrap it. Forgot to post a pre cooked photo. Before I trimmed it. Got it seasoned.

Attachments

• 2192C739-4E74-4C63-95E8-C3E605DCE920.jpeg
    2192C739-4E74-4C63-95E8-C3E605DCE920.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 39
  • F8C0A9EC-7BB1-4A42-B47D-F0D8B736FEDF.jpeg
    F8C0A9EC-7BB1-4A42-B47D-F0D8B736FEDF.jpeg
    572 KB · Views: 39
Got my Christmas bird on around 6:20 EST, a 15 pounder. Took 1/2 hour from startup to get to 250. 11 degrees here in Indiana with a -3 wind chill so not too bad for a big Lockhart!. Chugging along at between 240-250.
SmokeIT app appears to be working well now. Seems they added a few things since I used it last. The "Tools" icon lets you turn on notifications, a timer can be set, and target temps can be set for each of the 4 meat probe sensors. Now if they could allow a minimum temp to be set in case of a mechanical/electrical failure, that would help a lot!
Merry Christmas All!

Got my Christmas bird on around 6:20 EST, a 15 pounder. Took 1/2 hour from startup to get to 250. 11 degrees here in Indiana with a -3 wind chill so not too bad for a big Lockhart!. Chugging along at between 240-250.
SmokeIT app appears to be working well now. Seems they added a few things since I used it last. The "Tools" icon lets you turn on notifications, a timer can be set, and target temps can be set for each of the 4 meat probe sensors. Now if they could allow a minimum temp to be set in case of a mechanical/electrical failure, that would help a lot!
Merry Christmas All!
They send two meat probes with the unit. The first one I used but the dust on my second cook. Now I noticed my second one is off by 20 degrees. I also use an external handheld meat probe to check against the factory probe. Now I’m pissed. Temp hasn’t held worth a shit all night. Had it set for 250 but it never got over 210. Looks like Pit Boss is getting a displeased customer email this morning.

Doing a double smoked ham and boneless turkey breast. Ham is 17 lbs so it was too big to fit on my grill. Luckily both fit in the vertical. Using a smoke tube and hickory/charcoal blend.

Attachments

• IMG_20201225_085904875.jpg
    IMG_20201225_085904875.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 25
Surely it’s smoking. But if you are use to smoking on a stick burner, it’s definitely not the same. Your not going to get that heavy smoke. It’s very faint, at least in mine it is. From time to time I’ll see a heavy puff of smoke but not very often. Hope it turns out for you. It’s 4:30 am now, mine has been on for about 8 hours. Turned the temperature to 350 and about to wrap it. Forgot to post a pre cooked photo. Before I trimmed it. Got it seasoned.
Guess I’ll eat some crow.... turned out with maybe too big of a smoke ring lol...

Attachments

• 1124BE41-F375-4684-96F6-50368EA75B17.jpeg
    1124BE41-F375-4684-96F6-50368EA75B17.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 39
Guess I’ll eat some crow.... turned out with maybe too big of a smoke ring lol...
Exactly what happened to my ribs the other night. I thought there wasn't going to be enough smoke. So I didn't wrap them til later than normal, and they had too much smoke...

I completely blew in the picture department fellas. I was so disgusted with the pit situation. I took entirely too long to cook. I believe I over cooked it a bit. But, Merry Christmas to you all. Happy New Year, and god knows, 2021 has got to be a better year for us all.

Latest Discussions

Back