Choice brisket!

DozerofDoom

Reaction score
So I have a local butcher shop in town and reserved a "choice" brisket. I have a few questions for the bbq "vets". First, what is a "choice" brisket? Second, for what I am paying for it I know low and slow is the way to go but any recommendations would be appreciated. I heard 16 hrs all together at 195° with the second half being wrapped in butcher paper? I just don't want to ruin such an expensive cut of beef.

I haven't tried one yet. I like to watch videos and then try stuff out. Paul's Q is pretty good and he does a brisket here

I've smoked "choice" brisket in the past and they aren't bad but I started smoking 'prime" brisket from Costco and the prime is definitely better .. and more costly. I try to maintain a cooking temperature of around 225 degrees and I smoke my brisket until I get it probe tender .. usually around the 200 to 205 internal temperature of the meat. Sometimes I wrap and sometimes I don't. I don't really notice much difference with the meat other than it cooks a bit quicker when wrapped. I never rely on time for when to expect my meat to be done. I generally smoke brisket around the 14 pound area and have had them finished anywhere from 14 to 18 hours. Smoked meat is done when it is done and you can't rush the process if you want a quality product. Give yourself plenty of time and if it is done earlyer than you want just wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler and it will hold its heat for several hours.

Ok heres a little update. Started it at 10 pm last nite after marinating it in rub for 6 hrs. Havent probed it for temp yet. Its now wrapped in foil.
20200530_055154.jpg

Turned out awesome! I was expecting a little more of a smoke ring but it was extremely juicy and tasted amazing!

Hi Dozer. What brand of pellets are you using? I read your smoke ring comment and this has been popping up around the web about the distinct lack of a ring or not being nearly large as expected. The smoker just isn't producing alot of smoke. The same thing happened with two of my cooks, ribs and chicken. No ring and very little smoke produced throughout and I thought it was just bad pellets.

So I use the Pit Boss brand pellets and I mix the competition blend with mesquite. Dont get me wrong, so far I have loved my grill. It maintains its temperature very well and everything that I have cooked has tasted amazing. I read somewhere you dont "see" alot of smoke because of how efficiently it burns the pellets but who knows...

So I use the Pit Boss brand pellets and I mix the competition blend with mesquite. Dont get me wrong, so far I have loved my grill. It maintains its temperature very well and everything that I have cooked has tasted amazing. I read somewhere you dont "see" alot of smoke because of how efficiently it burns the pellets but who knows...
There is something going on with the PID and combustion rates. The crazy thing is they recommend using a tube on their website to get more smoky flavor in case an $800 smoker doesn't give you that flavor. I think they know abotu the Combo Platinum series. I hope a firmware on the controller might be able to solve it. I added a smoker this weekend and got a great smoke and flavor. I aree with you totally about maintining the temps over the long haul.

I just did a brisket this past weekend. Probably around 14 pounds after trimming. Smoke ring like DozeroofDoom has. I generally use the Pit Boss Mesquite or Hickory pellets as they seem to give the most smoke flavor. I wrapped in aluminum foil at 170 degrees internal temperature and it only took 11 hours this time to reach an internal temperature of 205. Wrapped in towels and placed in the cooler for two hours. Nice smoke flavor .. very jucy .. and pull apart tender. Big temperature swings of around 40 degrees this time but that doesn't bother me when I do large cuts of meat and smoke for a long time. You get more smoke the lower temperature you use. I set mine at 200 and seems it averages around 225 with the temperature swings. Once I started figuring things out with my Pit Boss I have been pretty satisfied with it.

I'm curious about setting it to the lowest temp to get the "smoke" before actually cooking. Wonder if that would make a difference??‍♂️

I've smoked "choice" brisket in the past and they aren't bad but I started smoking 'prime" brisket from Costco and the prime is definitely better .. and more costly. I try to maintain a cooking temperature of around 225 degrees and I smoke my brisket until I get it probe tender .. usually around the 200 to 205 internal temperature of the meat. Sometimes I wrap and sometimes I don't. I don't really notice much difference with the meat other than it cooks a bit quicker when wrapped. I never rely on time for when to expect my meat to be done. I generally smoke brisket around the 14 pound area and have had them finished anywhere from 14 to 18 hours. Smoked meat is done when it is done and you can't rush the process if you want a quality product. Give yourself plenty of time and if it is done earlyer than you want just wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler and it will hold its heat for several hours.
How long do you think too smoke a 3 pound brisket

Latest Discussions

Back