Chimney stack setting

Karl Pesson

Reaction score
My Pit Boss PB850PS2 has an adjustable chimney stack cap. The instructions say that if cooking at a low temp, to keep the cap more open. Looks like this would just be guess work when you try to determine how much is open enough. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the proper flow through the pit?

My Pit Boss PB850PS2 has an adjustable chimney stack cap. The instructions say that if cooking at a low temp, to keep the cap more open. Looks like this would just be guess work when you try to determine how much is open enough. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the proper flow through the pit?
I don't think it matters that much, I have cooked with it completely off the stack and all the way down and I haven't noticed any difference.
So I just spin it open about an inch.

I do the opposite.....depending on the outside temperature.

If cold....and smoking low temps, I tend to keep it at about 1/2" open.....smoking high temps, I tend to keep it open to about 2".

If warm.....I keep it open to about 2" or greater.

I don't think it matters that much, I have cooked with it completely off the stack and all the way down and I haven't noticed any difference.
So I just spin it open about an inch.

I agree never saw any temp changes with my Cap on my Pit Boss as it was always wide opened. Even when I screw done till it stops, it never made a change to the temp or the smoke output as I think Pit Boss uses one for decoration.

My Yoder 640 does not even have a cap on the smoke stack that grill hold temps spot on.

I agree never saw any temp changes with my Cap on my Pit Boss as it was always wide opened. Even when I screw done till it stops, it never made a change to the temp or the smoke output as I think Pit Boss uses one for decoration.

My Yoder 640 does not even have a cap on the smoke stack that grill hold temps spot on.
Thanks

You have a YS640 and you still use the Pit Boss? Masochist??? :D

You have a YS640 and you still use the Pit Boss? Masochist??? :D
I wanted something better and my yoder has been just perfect with not one issue. I understand that Pit Boss is a budget friendly grill, but Danson has to get better on supporting there product. I do not care if the grill cost $500 or $3000 they still need to put out a product that works.

I loved my Pro Series 1100 and I have added 2 different controllers on it a Savannah Stoker and a Rec-Tec controller. I accidentally broke the Rec-Tec controller so I was about to order the Smoke Daddy Assembly that includes the Hopper,auger, fan, and PID controller then I said nah I am not putting that money into the grill. So I bought a new replacement Hopper from Pit Boss (got it really cheap I guess Pit Boss has too many laying around for the old PS1100) without the auger and fan since already have them and my hopper cut up to add the savannah Stoker and then the Rec-Tec so it look ugly with big square holes in it.

I still had the original controller for the Pro Series 1100 so I placed that back in and fired up and it actually works just like it did the first day I about it. My Yoder is far more superior when it comes to smoking meat so my PS 1100 is just for grilling steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and anything else I need to grill.

I am waiting on the spring sales coming soon as I am going to buy the Masterbuilt and move my PS1100 to the hunting cabin that 3 of my buddies bought this winter. I like to have a lump charcoal grill again and this masterbuilt seems like it will do for me.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back