Charcoal pellets

garysam

Reaction score
Hi, I tried charcoal pellets for the first time and found they struggled to heat up my little PB150. The apple pellets seemed much better. Any thoughts?

I have a Laredo 1000 and I had the same issues with the charcoal pellets but never a problem with any other pellets. I figured it was probably a bad batch or operator error, but I haven't tried them again.

Use them with your other stock.
I use them as an accent of flavor only. Small amount.

Never tried to use them alone.

That's what I did. I made a blend of mesquite, hickory and the charcoal pellets for burgers etc.

An online review claimed the Pb charcoal pellets give off an aroma and flavor like real charcoal. I bought a bag and found the smell and taste nothing like charcoal. Now I am adding a handful to other mixtures just to use them up. They are my least favorite of PB pellets. So far.

An online review claimed the Pb charcoal pellets give off an aroma and flavor like real charcoal. I bought a bag and found the smell and taste nothing like charcoal. Now I am adding a handful to other mixtures just to use them up. They are my least favorite of PB pellets. So far.
Alot of people really like them but my experience was the same as yours. I don't notice any charcoal flavor and don't find they add any charcoal flavor when used alone or mixed with other pellets. Others her have posted very different experiences, maybe it's because everyone has different taste or maybe it's inconsistent batches from Pit Boss. Who knows.....

Looks like the exclusive Charcoal pellet deal with WalMart is over. They have not had them in stock for months. I did get a bag from a seller on ebay over the holidays. Somehow the pellets were shipped direct from WalMart. I have not been able to figure out that trick. It does appear on their website that Lowes is now carrying the Charcoal blend.

I mixed it with the Competition blend 1:3 and my results were good. My first brisket ever was as good as any I've had elsewhere. I am new to pellet smoking so I have not tried any of the others. I did learn that the Pro Series 4 vertical burns about 1lb (3 cups) per hour at 250 degrees. I did not know that when I bought a smoker with a 60lb hopper. I also learned that if you smoke 6 pork shoulders on a cold day (40s), 220 degrees takes a lot longer than I thought. I will try 270 next time.

Looks like the exclusive Charcoal pellet deal with WalMart is over. They have not had them in stock for months. I did get a bag from a seller on ebay over the holidays. Somehow the pellets were shipped direct from WalMart. I have not been able to figure out that trick. It does appear on their website that Lowes is now carrying the Charcoal blend.

I mixed it with the Competition blend 1:3 and my results were good. My first brisket ever was as good as any I've had elsewhere. I am new to pellet smoking so I have not tried any of the others. I did learn that the Pro Series 4 vertical burns about 1lb (3 cups) per hour at 250 degrees. I did not know that when I bought a smoker with a 60lb hopper. I also learned that if you smoke 6 pork shoulders on a cold day (40s), 220 degrees takes a lot longer than I thought. I will try 270 next time.
Thanks for posting this, this topic is new to me. Here's what I found at Walmart. Since my vertical smoker does not do direct heating / grilling I wonder what use these would be in the vertical....flavor?

I have used many bags. The last ones seemed light on charcoal flavor. I am trying Kingsford next. Hoping they have that distinct charcoal flavor. Have not seen the PB in my local Walmart's anymore either.

When you have a substantial load in your smoker try monitoring the temperature at your smoke stack. See what is being absorbed by the meat load.

Latest Discussions

Back