Building a new BBQ shack

MKinHB

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't cooked for a couple weeks, family stuff to do etc...
But I have been busy building a new BBQ shack.
So far I have got the frame and most of the back wall done, You have to be a contortionist to get at the screws between the back wall and the existing fence.
Will have a corrugated steel roof when done and counter tops on the ends.
Here are a couple of pics of what I have done so far.
measurements are 16' x 8' with 8.5' roof.
Fun!
20211114_142852.jpg
20211114_142905.jpg

Looks good. I have been considering doing something similar. How are the posts attached to the concrete blocks? Are you concerned about wind gusts catching the roof, and moving the whole structure?

Looks good. I have been considering doing something similar. How are the posts attached to the concrete blocks? Are you concerned about wind gusts catching the roof, and moving the whole structure?
The posts are nailed into the straps on the blocks, 8 16D nails, 4 each way. I stained the metal straps so you cannot see them in the pic.
Not concerned about the wind, it hardly ever gets really windy here, this thing is heavy, all 2" x 8" lumber for the back wall too.
It will have 2 inch smoke/wind escapes around the roof perimeter. Plus the houses block direct wind pretty good.

I've wanted to do something similar myself but I know the next hurricane will blow it away. My only option would be to have posts in concrete. But even if I did that the top and sides would blow off. Unfortunately we have nothing to block the wind since all of our oak trees blew down in 2018. The only good thing about not having those trees is that in the future there are none to fall on the house.

Haven't cooked for a couple weeks, family stuff to do etc...
But I have been busy building a new BBQ shack.
So far I have got the frame and most of the back wall done, You have to be a contortionist to get at the screws between the back wall and the existing fence.
Will have a corrugated steel roof when done and counter tops on the ends.
Here are a couple of pics of what I have done so far.
measurements are 16' x 8' with 8.5' roof.
Fun!View attachment 1954View attachment 1955
Sensing some badass going on here...

Got the back wall done, rain gutter built and installed, now starting the roof rafters.
Was a little tricky to get the 16 foot 2"x6"'s home from Home Depot in my truck, no lumber rack, 10" of overhang, got a few funny looks but I got them home.
Progress is slow with only the weekends to work and all done solo, but it's coming along.
Also I stain everything before it gets installed with two to three coats of stain.

20211120_165513.jpg
20211121_170042.jpg
20211121_170010.jpg
20211121_122430.jpg
20211121_123742.jpg

Excuse my stupid question but why did you put a back on the shed when you already had a solid wooden fence there? I could see putting sides on it but why the redundancy? Structural integrity?

made a little more progress this weekend.
had to change the roof design to plan B because of some badly warping lumber from Home Depot
they gave me $80.oo credit for the bad wood but it was hell grinding out nails to take down the bad wood.

20211205_150305.jpg
20211205_152321.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back