Brisket?

MikeInFla

Staff member
Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned that the first and only brisket I did turned out like an old leather boot. It was pretty tough! Just wondering if anyone out there has a recipe and technique to doing a brisket on the Pit Boss.

I didn't do much with mine. Trimmed off a little fat and seasoned it with Montreal Steak Rub (McCormick). Smoked it slow for 6 hours and then cranked up the heat until the internal temp was 205.

I am wondering if it would turn out better if I put it in a marinade for a few hours or even a day and then smoke it longer than 6 hours.

Started it off at 175 for an hour or so then 225. I might have been too low, I don't know but I left it on til it hit 165 then wrapped it. It's also possible I didn't let it rest long enough.

Was it a whole brisket?

Ive only done whole briskets andit takes 6 hours just to get 165 at 200 degrees. Then i prefer foil wrap with about a half cup of beef stock in side the foil.

In another thread I mentioned that the first and only brisket I did turned out like an old leather boot. It was pretty tough! Just wondering if anyone out there has a recipe and technique to doing a brisket on the Pit Boss.

I didn't do much with mine. Trimmed off a little fat and seasoned it with Montreal Steak Rub (McCormick). Smoked it slow for 6 hours and then cranked up the heat until the internal temp was 205.

I am wondering if it would turn out better if I put it in a marinade for a few hours or even a day and then smoke it longer than 6 hours.
did you wrap it?

Just put a 15lb on smoker reading 150-155 on smoke going to leave it for 2 hrs then crank up to 200 for 2 then wrap for 2 more will see what happens temp here is 40% with some wind will be a fight all day but BOOMER and a few beers anit it great to be alive in Okie land.

Yes I wrapped it in foil. It was a brisket flat. Will try another one tomorrow I bought one this morning. This time I will wrap with butcher paper they gave me some free at the store. I believe this one will turn out better.

The issue i have with buying flats is what little fat they would have on them is usually trimmed off before you buy them. Id inject it with beef stock and Worcestershire sauce then smoke

The one I got today has a nice day layer on the bottom, more than the last one. Storming here today so will try it tomorrow

So far so good, at least I hope. Been 2 hours at 200. Just turned up to 250. It's about a 3 pound flat.

IMG_20201025_093015522.jpg

Started at 7:30am now just after 2:00pm and internal meat temp is 203 so I am getting close. Initially 2 hours at 200, then 250. About an hour ago I bumped it up to 350 then 30 min ago down to 300. When it hits 205 internal temp I'll rest it in a cooler for probably 2 hours. Wrapped in butcher paper when it hit 165.

IMG_20201025_122327636.jpg

Final results. It was better than the last one but still not great. Not a lot of bend. It will take some practice I guess. Started at 7:30am and it hit 207 at about 2:15 pm. I let it rest in a cooler for 2 hours. Good bark, juicy but a tad tough. Myron Mixon would've hated it. But my wife and kids liked it.

IMG_20201025_163513325.jpg

it looks great Mike and hey do not ever compare your brisket to Myron Mixons his Brisket is nothing to brag about as I have tried it at his restaurant in Georgia I have no idea how he won some many awards with his brisket.. You can stop at any mom and pop BBQ place in Texas and there brisket is no comparison...Texas knows brisket.

Dave, have you tried the brisket at Buc-ee's?

No, I have not I have gotten Gas there, but never ventured into the food. The place was huge and it was so crowded at the time.

The Places I have been in Texas were:

Franklin barbecue, Valentina's, Snow's, Cooper Old Time Pit, Hutchins, and Stanley Famous Pit

Back