Brisket Isn’t Tender

Walt

Reaction score
Hello!
I’ve cooked 2 briskets and they both have been really tough. I smoke at 1-1/2 hours per pound at approximately 250 deg. F with a meat temperature at 190 deg F. I’ve marinated, sprayed apple juice repeatedly, etc without any good results.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

I usually smoke my brisket at around 250, somewhere around 165 internal temperature I will wrap if my bark looks good. Back on the smoker it goes until around it hits around 190 and I will check tenderness. When it has no resistance at all when you probe it it is done. I've had that be anywhere from 195-210 internal. It's all about the feel and not necessarily the time or internal temp.Also don't forget to rest it before slicing for at least an hour(i find longer is better if possible). And also make sure you are slicing across the grain,keeping in mind the point and flat run in different directions. Good luck!

Last edited:
I usually smoke my brisket at around 250, somewhere around 165 internal temperature I will wrap if my bark looks good. Back on the smoker it goes until around it hits around 190 and I will check tenderness. When it has no resistance at all when you probe it it is done. I've had that be anywhere from 195-210 internal. It's all about the feel and not necessarily the time or internal temp.Also don't forget to rest it before slicing for at least an hour(i find longer is better if possible). And also make sure you are slicing across the grain,keeping in mind the point and flat run in different directions. Good luck!
Thank you so much! I did pretty much what you said but without much luck as far as the tenderness!

I just stopped at 190F internal temperature. Guess I should go by feel instead of internal temperature.
190 would be fine if you held it for 8+ hours around 160-170. I've had one brisket ready at 190 (wagu) in past 20 years. Most are 200-210 your probe should feel like you're sticking it in room temperature butter.
Keep cooking them it took me 5 or 6 before I got one done that I liked.

190 would be fine if you held it for 8+ hours around 160-170. I've had one brisket ready at 190 (wagu) in past 20 years. Most are 200-210 your probe should feel like you're sticking it in room temperature butter.
Keep cooking them it took me 5 or 6 before I got one done that I liked.

Thank you 🙏! Wouldn’t the meat be overcooked if you held it at that temperature for that period of time?

Thank you 🙏! Wouldn’t the meat be overcooked if you held it at that temperature for that period of time?
Not in my experience. Pulled early 190-200 let cool to 160-170 or you know temp is dropping. Wrap tight with some moisture in butcher paper. Then wrap again and toss into oven set on lowest setting. Hold for 6+ hours.

Do you know if you got a left or right side brisket? Sort of a joke, I've heard it makes a different but I never could tell one way or the other. You listen to the advice already given and I can't imagine you having a tough brisket on the next one. I've always injected mine with the grain.

Do you know if you got a left or right side brisket? Sort of a joke, I've heard it makes a different but I never could tell one way or the other. You listen to the advice already given and I can't imagine you having a tough brisket on the next one. I've always injected mine with the grain.
Thank you 🙏 sir!

Don't cook brisket, or pork butt, or ribs by time or temp.

For brisket time and temp are the indicators to tell you when to start the probe like butter (or peanut butter) test as mentioned above. You don't have to wrap while cooking either but most do and most rest too.

Don't cook brisket, or pork butt, or ribs by time or temp.

For brisket time and temp are the indicators to tell you when to start the probe like butter (or peanut butter) test as mentioned above. You don't have to wrap while cooking either but most do and most rest too.
Thank you 🙏! So you don’t cook meat by time or temperature? Doesn’t sound right. In any case if I wait till the brisket is 190 it’s over cooked so you may have a point. Do you cook by texture/feel?

Latest Discussions

Back