Brand new and have question about initial burn

Grillgirl46032

Reaction score
Hello all…so glad I found this forum. My husband bought me a PVB3A1 smoker. We got it assembled and now I have a dumb question about the initial burn. The instructions just say turn it on and let it burn at 350 for 45 minutes. It does not specify if I need pellets and water in there for the initial burn. I called customer service…and the guy had no idea!! 😳. I tried to turn it on without pellets or water and it only got to about 250, even after 2 hours. Also, it’s supposed to be a grill as well…how do you switch between smoking and grilling? The instructions are not specific at all. Thanks for any guidance!!

As they say, there are no dumb questions. Of course you need pellets since they are the fuel. Water not needed for initial burn. Haven't used the grill feature but there is a sliding panel that allows flame searing and I imagine grilling a burger or steak. I just use mine as a smoker.

Yes the instructions could be more specific. But welcome to the forum and hopefully you can find all the help you need here.

Hello all…so glad I found this forum. My husband bought me a PVB3A1 smoker. We got it assembled and now I have a dumb question about the initial burn. The instructions just say turn it on and let it burn at 350 for 45 minutes. It does not specify if I need pellets and water in there for the initial burn. I called customer service…and the guy had no idea!! 😳. I tried to turn it on without pellets or water and it only got to about 250, even after 2 hours. Also, it’s supposed to be a grill as well…how do you switch between smoking and grilling? The instructions are not specific at all. Thanks for any guidance!!
I’m unfamiliar with your model so I googled it. Looks like a vertical smoker. I have a vertical, but different model and it does not do grilling. Are you sure it’s supposed to grill too?

Last edited:
I’m unfamiliar with your model so I googled it. Looks like a vertical smoker. I have a vertical, but different model and it does not do grilling. Are you sure it’s supposed to grill too?
Sorry…it’s definitely a vertical analog electric smoker, 3 Series. Here are pics of the box and instruction manual.

Attachments

• F7DDAEC6-356C-45D4-8697-696FC47C5755.jpeg
    F7DDAEC6-356C-45D4-8697-696FC47C5755.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 48
  • CEC3A1D9-2E6B-4CEB-86A1-67FC02C91661.jpeg
    CEC3A1D9-2E6B-4CEB-86A1-67FC02C91661.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 084E4F19-2C1D-4352-9D5A-936BFE3DD983.jpeg
    084E4F19-2C1D-4352-9D5A-936BFE3DD983.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 47
As they say, there are no dumb questions. Of course you need pellets since they are the fuel. Water not needed for initial burn. Haven't used the grill feature but there is a sliding panel that allows flame searing and I imagine grilling a burger or steak. I just use mine as a smoker.

Yes the instructions could be more specific. But welcome to the forum and hopefully you can find all the help you need here.
Thank you! I will try it today.

Is this a pellet or wood chip smoker? My other smoker looks very similar and uses wood chips rather than pellets.

If so it can be heated without wood chips. If it's like mine, you have to set the timer before setting the temperature, otherwise it will only heat to a minimum degree. I have use mine as an oven, without smoke, to bake potatoes.

On a positive note this type of smoker actually provides more smoke flavor than a pellet smoker, but involves more work.

Best of luck..

Last edited:
I wouldn’t use water for the first burn, I’d also let it go for at least an hour if not more. The main reason is to get any oils and such to burn off that might still be there from factory assembly.

You need pellets, I’m surprised it even got to 250 to be honest…that can’t be right. I doubt the igniting rod was able to achieve that on its own.

Sorry…it’s definitely a vertical analog electric smoker, 3 Series. Here are pics of the box and instruction manual.
You don't need pellets, and you definitely don't want water. This burn in is simply to burn off any manufacturing chemicals or oil. You are breaking it in. I don't have an electric, but in the manual it should tell you how to reach that temperature. If you are following the directions, and it can't hit that temperature, it is faulty.
The manual for this smoker says:
"Before using your smoker for the first time with food, it is important to complete a burn-off to cure the interior and exterior finish of your unit. Start the smoker and operate at any temperature over (121°C / 250°F) with the cabinet door closed for 30 to 40 minutes to burn-off the unit and rid it of any foreign matter." The ad says the maximum temperature of this smoker is 325...

I had gotten the electric smoker and had the same problem. When I called them they admitted 275 might be the maximum. I burned it in at 275 and it has been ok since.

How is the smoker going to increase in temp if there isn’t fuel to cause it? I don’t understand how you don’t need pellets…is the igniter rod that strong? Lol

Latest Discussions

Back