Boston butt on vertical pit boss

Roostershooter

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice on smoking a boston butt on my new smoker. I typically start at 10pm and cook until about 3 in the afternoon the next day for a 9 pound butt. I really don't want to get up every few hours to add water to the tray so i was thinking on just raising it up from the heat source to get less evaporation and avoid getting out of bed. Anyone done this before or have any advice on a butt in a vertical series 5? Thanks in advance.

I went 7 hours at 190 deg on an overnight smoke and there was still water in the pan. I also had an aluminum foil pan with water under the brisket to catch all the rendered fat drippings.

I did a 7.5 lb bone in over Memorial Day on my vertical pro. Started at midnight, raised the water pan up a level, drip pan underneath with some water as well, set temp at 250 which keeps my vertical box temp about 200-215, still had water in both at 6 am. Few hours later at 165 internal placed in an aluminum pan sealed tight with foil, raised temp to 300, 250 in the box to internal of 203 followed by 2 hours in cooler, toweled. ~12 total hours in the smoker. One of the best I've ever done, but I think it could have been the meat as well, first I've bought from a local meat market. (Better meat, better results?)

I did a 7.5 lb bone in over Memorial Day on my vertical pro. Started at midnight, raised the water pan up a level, drip pan underneath with some water as well, set temp at 250 which keeps my vertical box temp about 200-215, still had water in both at 6 am. Few hours later at 165 internal placed in an aluminum pan sealed tight with foil, raised temp to 300, 250 in the box to internal of 203 followed by 2 hours in cooler, toweled. ~12 total hours in the smoker. One of the best I've ever done, but I think it could have been the meat as well, first I've bought from a local meat market. (Better meat, better results?)
Good information. I will use your tips if raising water pan and adding a drip pan. Thanks!

Looking for a little advice on smoking a boston butt on my new smoker. I typically start at 10pm and cook until about 3 in the afternoon the next day for a 9 pound butt. I really don't want to get up every few hours to add water to the tray so i was thinking on just raising it up from the heat source to get less evaporation and avoid getting out of bed. Anyone done this before or have any advice on a butt in a vertical series 5? Thanks in advance.
On long low and slow cooks I pour veg oil on top of the water in water pan. This keeps the water from evaporating to rapidly. I use a separate pan under my Butt or Brisket to catch the Ju. This pan will catch the flavored meat juices that sweat off before you hit the stall. At the stall I guess you will wrap in pink paper or foil to finish the cook. Jussmy2cents!

Latest Discussions

Back