Best way to clean grates

Dab942

Reaction score
I've been putting them in a plastic tub with water and soap -- let them soak then scrub. This creates a mess. We have an electric pressure washer, I was considering. Much faster and I can hang them outside. I don't know if it would chip the ceramic coating.

Thoughts?

Mwcurnan

Reaction score
I've been putting them in a plastic tub with water and soap -- let them soak then scrub. This creates a mess. We have an electric pressure washer, I was considering. Much faster and I can hang them outside. I don't know if it would chip the ceramic coating.

Thoughts?
Same here,I use a plastic mixing tub from Home Depot soaked in water and Dawn . Works for me

jaramie

Reaction score

Thoughts?
this is EXACTLY what i do. no soap, no soak time, no mess and you’re done in less than 5min.

andrew.short

Reaction score
Dawn dishsoap. hose the grates down in my driveway. I scrape them clean with one of these:

They are great at scraping the big chunks off.
Then I run a small scrub brush over each slot in the grates.
Hose it off, let it dry, done.

DanStealth

Reaction score
I grab the garden house and put it on jet and hit for a bit. It pretty much gets rid of most of the stuff then with some soapy water and a sponge I just give it a quick rub down to get the rest. It’s way easier then bring it inside and doing it in the sink.

I actually was thinking if they were dishwasher safe I’d just throw it in there

Capt Jim

Reaction score
No shortage of "how to's". Here is my 2 cents.

I have on hand a tub big enough to stand up the grates inside, this keeps all the grease and cleaner contained for later disposal. I spray grates with Krud Cutter (biodegradable, avail at Lowes). I scrape off big stuff, use a brush and or dish sponge to finish. I remove the grates from the tub and water spray the cleaner off. There is only a little of the Krud Cutter and grease left in the tub which I soak up with some paper towels, they go in the garbage. store all the cleaning supplies in the tub for later use.

carmangary

Reaction score
I don’t have ceramic coated grates but for my vertical I crank it up to H at the end of a cook. Most everything clinging on them is incinerated and then are easily wire brushed off once they cool down
Don't do this. This is how I normally clean my gas grill but I did this to my 850 Pro recently and regret it. It caused one of the grates to crack and it also made the heat shield completely rusted.

carmangary

Reaction score
I grab the garden house and put it on jet and hit for a bit. It pretty much gets rid of most of the stuff then with some soapy water and a sponge I just give it a quick rub down to get the rest. It’s way easier then bring it inside and doing it in the sink.

I actually was thinking if they were dishwasher safe I’d just throw it in there
I am sure they can handle it but you might end up with a grease film on your dishes and inside your dishwasher.

Latest Discussions