Best brand of pellets for Pit Boss? Most smoke?

Very interesting topic. I also I enjoyed the link to utube! thanks MikeinFl. The video was interesting and entertaining. They gave it a pretty good testing I thought. They at least both were in close agreement. I guess I will be doing some testing of my own. :unsure:

My favorite is Lumber Jack 100% Hickory. I get them for less than $10 per bag from Atwood's Farm and Ranch. You can also get them from Rural King at good prices if you have one of them nearby. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby they are said to price match.

I had a chance this weekend to inspect my Sam's pellets. I did not see anything yellow in the pellets I looked at. I grabbed some off the top, middle and bottom and nothing yellow. I did notice the bag says "100% hardwood, no fillers, no binders".

No idea if you had corn in your or not but I used them this weekend and they seemed to do OK.

I rarely use PB pellets anymore unless I find a bag on clearance or something. The 40 bags from Sam’s are pretty good. Bear Mnt as well. And I recently found a local company that makes them called Smoke Ring BBQ Pellets but I am not sure of their availability out of this area. Those were good too.

At all costs avoid the brand called “Expert Grill” at Walmart. They are pretty cheap but they don’t fully burn and you end of with a lot of unburned pellets.

I rarely use PB pellets anymore unless I find a bag on clearance or something. The 40 bags from Sam’s are pretty good. Bear Mnt as well. And I recently found a local company that makes them called Smoke Ring BBQ Pellets but I am not sure of their availability out of this area. Those were good too.

At all costs avoid the brand called “Expert Grill” at Walmart. They are pretty cheap but they don’t fully burn and you end of with a lot of unburned pellets.
I still haven’t found the smoke rings down here. Would definitely be interested in tryin them.

Yeah I have only seen them at Ace here and nowhere else. I keep an eye out for them and it seems their availability is limited and you can’t order from their website. Maybe once they get bigger they will offer them on their website.

Wondering what everyone's go to pellets are? What gives you the best smokiness💨

So far I've used....
Pitboss Charcoal
Pitboss Hickory
Bear Mountain Gourmet Blend

Bought but haven't tried...
Bear Mountain Hickory
Ol Hick Jim Beam Bourbon Barrel.

I like Bear Mountain much better so far!
I like the bags of pellets that are around 15 bucks or less for 40 lbs.
Most of what the pellets go into are called "pellet grills".
Below and around 180f they smoke pretty good but as temps go up the same unit starts acting more as a wood fired oven, not a smoker.
I have a bunch of Bear Moutain that was on sale awhile back and I use Sam's Comp Blend routinely mostly due to $/lb. I use alder for salmon and mahi.
I make my own rubs. My basic rub starts with and is based around a 6lb bag of Turbinado Sugar and a box of Kosher salt. The recipe fills a 6" deep half pan 2/3rds full. Depending what I cook I scoop some out and tweak it.
Most of the time my basic goes on pork butts, briskets, much different.
I keep powdered honey, powdered molasses, powdered maple and powder whatsthishere sauce and pantry always has coffee and Montreal.
In a stick burner, white oak, Pecan and hickory are on hand.
Charcoal pellets and white oak (post oak) pellets are hard to run down and come in at a buck a pound.
Mostly I try to keep the temps low as possible and roll with economic pellets, I do alot of smoking, not just for Steph and I.
My friends and I try to buy pork when it's cheapest and beef from Sam's for the same reason. Sam's brisket is USDA Prime. Their chuck beef is thick cut and still better price than grocery stores. The ribs are two per pack and cost less than a single rack elsewhere.
To me smoking is about taking not so good cuts and cooking low, slow and well seasoned to make them tender with great taste.

Last edited:
I have gone to the lumberjack brand competition with the smoke tube with chips and pellets
Ditto for me. Lumberjack is pretty easy to find here in the upper Midwest for reasonable prices. My last purchase was $7.99 for a 20lb bag of hickory. I'm also using up a bag of PB Competition Blend which I'm not that fond of. It's good as fuel though while burning Lumberjack and hickory chips in the smoke tube.

Latest Discussions

Back