Best brand of pellets for Pit Boss? Most smoke?

Stopped at local Ace Hardware looking for different brands of pellets. They had lots of Traeger but nothing else. Didn't buy and will keep looking. I've heard Traeger are no better than PB. Still have plenty of PB to use up.

Tractor Supply carries Bear Mountain. Kingsford you can find in grocery stores or Walmart.

Thanks Mike. Will check local Tractor Supply. I don't think our local Wally World has anything other than PB but will look there too. Still have lots of PB to use up

Our Walmart has Pit Boss, Kingsford and Cuisinart pellets. Look around among the Christmas trees that are already out in the garden center haha
Went to our local Wally World and, like you, found quite a selection of pellets. Mostly Pit Boss brand blends. Since I've been wanting to try something 100% wood I picked up a 20 pound bag of Kingsford cherry pellets. Haven't tried cherry yet. Closest I've come is Pit Boss Fruit Blend. Sounds like cherry can match with most meats.

Interestingly the Kingsford cherry pellets were $14.97 at Walmart and $27.80 at Amazon. I guess free shipping isn't really free. Looking forward to trying the new pellets.

Also if you have a Tractor Supply nearby check and see if they have any Bear Mountain Oak or Hickory.

If Tractor Supply is out of a product, use their computer at the service desk/kiosk, and they ship them to your door step for free.
Has to be their computer at the kiosk.

We do have a Tractor Supply not far off. Will check there soon. The wife is already grumbling about my large supply of pellet buckets in the family room. Plan to smoke pork tenderloin with cherry pellets on Sunday. Looking forward.

Did meatloaf the other day using Pitboss classic blend that came out pretty good and had a nice smoke ring.

Smoked meatloaf the other day using Pitboss Classic blend and it came out pretty good with a nice smoke ring.
I wonder if the Classic blend is all pecan, hickory and mesquite or if they add some other filler?

I think classic blend is just what it says. I've used it before but haven't found a bag since the one I bought last year.

Bear Mountain are pretty good. I've used every one from Pit Boss. Kingsford is also very good. I picked up a 40 pound bag at Sam's of their "Smokehouse Blend" and haven't tried it yet but have heard good things about those pellets.

I've posted this in another thread but it is an interesting video. Just remember, it is his opinion only but I commend him for taking the time to make the comparison.

I just got the SmokeHouse brand because they have good reviews. As I was sitting through them I noticed some of the pellets were yellow. I pulled them out and inspected them and guess what it looks like corn! There was not a lot of them just a few that I found so far but it sure makes me wonder! They seem to smoke okay. Seem to produce about the same amount of ashes pit Boss.

Went to our nearest Tractor Supply yesterday and there were no Bear Mountain pellets nor any other brand other than a whole pallet of PB Competition. Asked an employee who said that's all they had in stock. No offer to use the computer. There is another store farther away. Will call 1st and ask if they have Bear Mountain.

I think classic blend is just what it says. I've used it before but haven't found a bag since the one I bought last year.
It may be. It worked well on the meatloaf. Will probably try it on drumsticks later this week. Trying Kingsford cherry on pork tenderloin this afternoon.

Went to our nearest Tractor Supply yesterday and there were no Bear Mountain pellets nor any other brand other than a whole pallet of PB Competition. Asked an employee who said that's all they had in stock. No offer to use the computer. There is another store farther away. Will call 1st and ask if they have Bear Mountain.
I'm taken back by Tractor Supply not letting you use their computer at their Kiosk/service desk. I had to set up a simple account. Name ,address, etc. The lady/ manager helped me to make sure I did everything correct. 2 days later they were on my doorstep shipped free to me. My local TS is out of bear mountain also. You can order on line and have them shipped to the store for free and they'll go in a locker just like if you order something from Home Depot.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back