Back ordered controller

Guineabear

Reaction score
Hi, new member here. I have an 850 pro and Silver Star digital electric vertical smoker (2 series) just over 2 months ago Pit Boss customer service ordered a warranty replacement controller after electrical problems with that unit. I'm still waiting and the only info I get from Pit Boss is that the part is still back ordered. Sure glad I have another smoker to use. Wondering if anyone else is having similar problems. The customer service folks have all been very nice but I am disappointed at this long wait.

It's not just Pit Boss, it is EVERYONE. Shipping/manufacturing is slow due to the pandemic. We needed some car parts for my daughter's car and it took several months to get everything in. Then when one came in it was damaged in shipping and they had to order another which took a month to arrive. My son works at a car dealership in the service center. He said everything there is on back order with no ETA. They can't even get air filters. He said about the only thing they have on hand are oil filters and tires but everything else is on back order.

Hang in there. My controller was bad in January 2021 and was on back order also. Finally arrived in June 2021. America has to go back to producing many needed products we use in our daily lives. Those 66 ships waiting to unload in California is from other countries.

Hang in there. My controller was bad in January 2021 and was on back order also. Finally arrived in June 2021. America has to go back to producing many needed products we use in our daily lives. Those 66 ships waiting to unload in California is from other countries.
Thanks for the replies. I sort of figured it was Chinese parts that might be sitting on a cargo ship in California. Glad I have a 2nd smoker so not out of business. Did two racks of ribs last night that came out great.

yes, most of your stuff is sitting out here.
these ships are cluttering my ocean! I have a video but too large to share here.
these are from 2 weeks ago, we were out 4 weeks ago in complete fog and these would seem to creep up on you.
the last is from today, Great Pacific Air Show is on this weekend!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
20211001_133742.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I've been seeing the same stuff on the news. Apparently New York is having the same problems. Remember the old song, Slow Boat from/to China? I'm showing my age!

All I can do is sit and wait.

Hi, new member here. I have an 850 pro and Silver Star digital electric vertical smoker (2 series) just over 2 months ago Pit Boss customer service ordered a warranty replacement controller after electrical problems with that unit. I'm still waiting and the only info I get from Pit Boss is that the part is still back ordered. Sure glad I have another smoker to use. Wondering if anyone else is having similar problems. The customer service folks have all been very nice but I am disappointed at this long wait.

I bought a 850 pro a few months ago. I contacted pit boss because of it taking forever to get hot. They said it takes 10 uses for the grill to learn. They ended up sending me a new panel and I’m on the 8th use now with the new panel. The 7th time I used it, It still took over an hour to get to 375 set on 450. Even after an hour and a half set on 450, it will get barely over 400. So I guess I will be calling them again. They have been real nice on the phone, but I am really frustrated over this grill! Plus I can’t find anything to compare it to time wise! What is the normal time for this grill to get to 400 ? And does it ever go higher than 400? I don’t expect it to heat up as fast as a gas grill , but do I have to start this thing 2 hours before I want to cook so it will get to 400 degrees?

I bought a 850 pro a few months ago. I contacted pit boss because of it taking forever to get hot. They said it takes 10 uses for the grill to learn. They ended up sending me a new panel and I’m on the 8th use now with the new panel. The 7th time I used it, It still took over an hour to get to 375 set on 450. Even after an hour and a half set on 450, it will get barely over 400. So I guess I will be calling them again. They have been real nice on the phone, but I am really frustrated over this grill! Plus I can’t find anything to compare it to time wise! What is the normal time for this grill to get to 400 ? And does it ever go higher than 400? I don’t expect it to heat up as fast as a gas grill , but do I have to start this thing 2 hours before I want to cook so it will get to 400 degrees?
Never tried to get my 850 up to 400. Usually start at 250 and generally takes about 1/2 hour to get there. Have raised temp up to 300 from 250 and doesn't take long to rise. Never heard the story about the grill learning but suppose anything is possible. Sorry I can only add the above experience but it sounds like you should be calling Pit Boss support again. Don't think it should take near that long to get to temp. Good luck

Have a pork loin prepared for this afternoon and intend to try the smoke setting, which I always thought was a number 5. May also try wood chips in my smoke tube. Always learning. After smoke setting will only be raising temp to 250.

If you are gonna be cooking at temperatures of 375, 400, 450 etc, you might want to use a gas grill.
I have never cooked on my 850 over 250*, unless I am trying to finish up some chicken to get the skin more crispy.
I usually try to run it around 200* to 230* although it will get a lot hotter if necessary.
I have learned a lot about this new and improved controller, but I will go into that in another post. (flame outs etc.)

Thanks for the input everyone! But if u look in the manual that came with the 850 pro grill for the recipes, 10 out of the 14 recipes are 325 to 450 degrees? I know these were developed as a smoker, but I would think they could do regular grilling if they are advertising these recipes??

Latest Discussions

Back