Auger Jam

Tkiser59

Reaction score
Used my Pitt Boss for the 3rd time. Primed the auger, started, then stopped. I removed the back hinged panel at the bottom of the hopper and the pellets were so ground up they were hard as a brick. I had to use a metal rod to free up the pellet dust. Tested the auger in prime sequence and it worked fine. Has anyone had this issue? Seems like after only using for the 3rd time, I shouldn’t be having this issue.

Used my Pitt Boss for the 3rd time. Primed the auger, started, then stopped. I removed the back hinged panel at the bottom of the hopper and the pellets were so ground up they were hard as a brick. I had to use a metal rod to free up the pellet dust. Tested the auger in prime sequence and it worked fine. Has anyone had this issue? Seems like after only using for the 3rd time, I shouldn’t be having this issue.
Pellet dust as is should just be a granular/powdery consistency. That your dust hardened suggest moisture got in there somehow.
Also, sift your pellets to help alleviate the dust issue.

Last edited:
Pellet dust as is should just be a granular/powdery consistency. That your dust hardened suggest moisture got in there somehow.
I have a similar problem. I plan on emptying the pellet box and sifting the pellets. Basically my pit boss ruined the 4th

You are spot on. That’s exactly what happened. During my last smoking session it started raining. I had a table umbrella over top the smoker but water still must have gotten in there. I can tell you straight up that water and wood pellets make for a wooden brick. I removed all the pellets and took a metal rod to work the hardens wood dust out of the auger. After that, new hickory pellets and all was saved. Pork butt still cooked in 6 hours at 250 degrees.

I actually had to replace my auger assy, twice because I believe it was caused by using cheap no name pellets. Would jam up, and when trying to clear it, the gears in the unit stripped. Found some blue and other materials in the pellets as well as lots of dust, dumped them all. Be careful what you run through your smoker. A good deal may ruin your day!!

You used a metal rod, I just ordered a toilet snake from Amazon. Thanks for the info

I had this issue a couple of times. I tore it down completely both times to get the auger out and cleaned up. On my version of the 820 it has a little door/gate/plate that you unscrew to empty the pellets. I found that this door/gate/plate did not seal and let water in even when the cover was on the unit. I made a gasket to seal the door/gate/plate (see pic) which seems to be doing the trick - it's been on about 9 months now. I also sprayed the cover with Flex Seal where it was leaking through the seams.
All-in-all, I attribute this to a bad design for water ingress! Pitt Boss should test for this common problem!!!

Attachments

• Pitt Boss .jpg
    Pitt Boss .jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 16
I am worried about this myself. I have not used my smokers since march. Our lives have been in limbo since losing my job, and I have already moved to michigan. So my Pit Boss grills / smokers have just been sitting in both Hoppers are full so I am concerned that moistures had a chance to get in there. We should close on a home in Michigan next week and get our belongings and then what I'll do once we get settled it's just turn them on and make sure they run and let them run for about an hour just to make sure everything's okay before I start a smoke and mess up some meat.

New job is going well, but I miss my family. They left the house yesterday in Florida and are staying the weekend with family in Tennessee. Then they'll drive up early next week once we secure a house.

I am worried about this myself. I have not used my smokers since march. Our lives have been in limbo since losing my job, and I have already moved to michigan. So my Pit Boss grills / smokers have just been sitting in both Hoppers are full so I am concerned that moistures had a chance to get in there. We should close on a home in Michigan next week and get our belongings and then what I'll do once we get settled it's just turn them on and make sure they run and let them run for about an hour just to make sure everything's okay before I start a smoke and mess up some meat.

New job is going well, but I miss my family. They left the house yesterday in Florida and are staying the weekend with family in Tennessee. Then they'll drive up early next week once we secure a house.
Welcome to the Wolverine State. You're gonna like the summers around here! Depending on your winter plans/activities you may may not like it as much as Panama City!!! Stay positive and enjoy the new challenges and experiences you and your family will be part of.

Latest Discussions

Back