Ash Tray?

caldenjones

Reaction score
Just picked up and assembled my new KC Combo but this version has the pullout ash tray but no brush. Wondering if this is an updated version or an older version. The original ash trays look like they're made of plastic and they easily slide in and out but this ash tray is metal and does not slide easily.

Not yet. The pics online still show the version with the brush, but the manual/assembly instructions on the Pit Boss website (and on the box) show the one I have. The one I bought just arrived at Walmart yesterday so I figured I would check here first to see if anyone heard about a redesign or update. I'll probably call customer service tomorrow. Just curious.

Welcome to the group. I have have the original style with the brush. It does not work like it was designed. I use a long metal rod to push the ash during my cooks. Works just fine.

Thanks. This version doesn't have the slot where the brush is like in the original style. Just the metal tray. And when you try to slide it in, gets about quarter of the way in and then resistance because of the metal rubbing against the underside of the main cart.

Attachments

• 20220206_080454.jpg
    20220206_080454.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20220206_080546.jpg
    20220206_080546.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20220206_080321.jpg
    20220206_080321.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 195
I purchased mine 1 week ago, has been covered, Used it yesterday, and the tray will not come out. This seems to be a design flaw.

Ashtray will not come out, and I'm afraid that if I force it, it will do damage...

Hopefully we will get a response

Necro-post revive....

I purchased my Pit Boss KC Combo on 10-16-2022, it also does not have the ash clean out brush. I did call and inquire with P.B. as too why I do not have the brush system....

Per the discussion that I just had with support (10-26-2022), I give you the following:

There was a design improvement made in response to user complaints. The ash clean brush was eliminated, also the bottom of the burn box was modified by removing the mesh floor entirely. This change causes the slide out ash tray to become the floor of the burn box, this change resulted in the lowering of the burn floor and results in an increase in head space between the pellets burning and the auger tube. All of this made the machine capable of extended burn times stretching out easily to 2 or 3 24 hour burns before a mandatory vacuum and clean out.

It is recommended that after every burn/cook, be it 4 hours or 24 hours that the machine be allowed to run the power down induced cool-down cycle (15-60 minutes to burn off all pellets remaining in the burn box) and once cooled to ambient temp, remove the slide out ash tray after each cook and dispose of cooled ash. Every 2-3 cooks/burns, vacuum out the internals to reduce ash and dust build up. The slide out tray is not to be removed mid cook, any clean out should be performed following or prior to a cook.

I hope that this helps. I know that I was confused about why I do not have the ash cleaning brush, so now I know.... and you do as well.

Just picked up and assembled my new KC Combo but this version has the pullout ash tray but no brush. Wondering if this is an updated version or an older version. The original ash trays look like they're made of plastic and they easily slide in and out but this ash tray is metal and does not slide easily.
I think this is the newer version. I've read people complaining about the brush wearing down and doing nothing. Mine comes out hard as well, I can get it by wiggling back and forth left to right. I've also done some sanding where I see scratches on the bottom of the rails of the tray, it's getting better. Needs to be tight, but ... I assume it will wear in, just got mine last Sunday.

My KC Combo is about 3 months old and no brush. At first it was brutal trying to that tray out but then I realized some unburned pellets would jam up the tray from sliding all the way out. I end up pulling it with all my might until it binds the first time the aggressively slam it back in place. When I pull it out the second time there is some resistance but it comes out. Its a bit of a wonky design but I'm living with it since I am loving the results I get from this grill.

My KC Combo is about 3 months old and no brush. At first it was brutal trying to that tray out but then I realized some unburned pellets would jam up the tray from sliding all the way out. I end up pulling it with all my might until it binds the first time the aggressively slam it back in place. When I pull it out the second time there is some resistance but it comes out. Its a bit of a wonky design but I'm living with it since I am loving the results I get from this grill.
They didnt have any in the box so i bought mine assembled. I've pulled hard as i can and cant get the ash tray out, afraid im going to break it

They didnt have any in the box so i bought mine assembled. I've pulled hard as i can and cant get the ash tray out, afraid im going to break it
one thing I realized when I was pulling is that I was not depressing the edge that withdrew the locking edge. I would get it half way out and that edge would catch on the front drawer. Still I'm pushing and pulling 3 or 4 times before I finally slide it out.

I think this is the newer version. I've read people complaining about the brush wearing down and doing nothing. Mine comes out hard as well, I can get it by wiggling back and forth left to right. I've also done some sanding where I see scratches on the bottom of the rails of the tray, it's getting better. Needs to be tight, but ... I assume it will wear in, just got mine last Sunday.
A few more cooks on mine now. It's still not perfect but it slides out easier every time. I also bent the bottom side in. Flip it over and there's a hole with an X in it. Between the X legs, I clamped the steel down, just so it wouldn't catch.

Latest Discussions

Back