Anyone with a Laredo 1000?

Dbiasii

Reaction score
Still decided which grill to buy and I stumbled across the Laredo 1000. Does anyone have one, and what your opinion on it?

I have one.. works great! Temperature control is +- 5 to the setting. The app is not great but it works

I bought a Laredo 1000 right before Thanksgiving and have been playing with it since.
Construction is top notch. Well built and heavy. Love the shelves.
I've had issues with temp. control which are different from what others with so many of the other models have had...
Though the 'set temp' and 'actual temp' are rock solid, my Laredo runs HOT. Like 50 to 90 degrees hotter than the temp probe and controller read according to my Maverick and Inkbird thermometers. I've tried several things but it just won't run at the set temp. I have been able to compensate somewhat by setting to a lower temp and I just received a new probe which I'll install soon.
Also, there is a significant difference between the left side temp and right side temp... 50 degrees.
When I set the unit to 225 the temp close to the probe (left side) runs at ~270 and the right side is closer to 240. When I set it to 350 it runs at ~425 on the left and about 390 on the right. Again, these temps are steady and don't fluctuate more than about 5-8 degrees.
So, I'm hoping the new probe will help but am skeptical. Next thing will be a new controller.
The app is useless and only worked for the first few cooks. After the first update it quit working and I haven't tried to fix it.
Over all... I'm not at all happy but am willing to keep throwing parts at it for now.
Regards, Mike
ps. It's really, really good at smoking cheese with a smoke tube~ cuz you don't turn it on!

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one, it has everything I’m looking for. My biggest question though, how long does it take to get to set temp, say from ignition to 250° or 350°?

I have to start mine at least an hour before cooking because of my temp issues stated above. About 5-8 minutes on 'S' til the smoke clears then I turn it from 'S' to 300 to get it going. It takes about 30 minutes to stabilize at temp. (actual ends up ~365).
THEN I can adjust the dial to get to whatever my cook temp is. Usually another 15 minutes.
Not impressed.
Regards, Mike

I have to start mine at least an hour before cooking because of my temp issues stated above. About 5-8 minutes on 'S' til the smoke clears then I turn it from 'S' to 300 to get it going. It takes about 30 minutes to stabilize at temp. (actual ends up ~365).
THEN I can adjust the dial to get to whatever my cook temp is. Usually another 15 minutes.
Not impressed.
Regards, Mike
So that's how you start the grill. I just bought by grill from Walmart on Thursday. It's my first pellet grill. The instructions are very week on how to start and operate the grill. The grill runs at 250 degrees when I have it set on 225. Do I need to contact Pit Boss to correct this?

Unfortunately in less than 3 months, they have replaced the smokestack cap, the controller, and now I’m down another 14 days because of a bad temp probe. This is a great pellet grill when it works, but 3 replacements in less than 3 months…buyer beware. Pitt Boss customer service seems great because they give out new parts like candy at Halloween. How about making parts that actually last? i will never buy another Pit Boss, and will call Walmart tomorrow inquiring about returning it. BUYER BEWARE

I have the lardeo 1000. I've had it for about a month. The temp runs 15 to 25 degrees hotter than setting. Its a flaw in the grill. A gap at the end where the temp probe is. You can buy a aftermarket part to fix it for over $30. The temp controller is 25 degree increments, which takes away control. No smoke over 200 degrees. Pit Boss recommends a smoke tube. And app is iffy. I ordered parts to fix my master built. I got rid of my gas grill when I got the pit boss. My master built smokes good from 200 to 235. That's something pit boss will not do past 180. Read reviews, watch videos before you buy. I wish I done that.

I have one its decent. Everything I have cooked has turned out great . But it's still fairly new so....

So that's how you start the grill. I just bought by grill from Walmart on Thursday. It's my first pellet grill. The instructions are very week on how to start and operate the grill. The grill runs at 250 degrees when I have it set on 225. Do I need to contact Pit Boss to correct this?
There is a gap between the pan a part it sits right under thermometer rod. There is a aftermarket fix for it. I say it's a design flaw.

I thought I would do some hot dogs on my laredo 1000 since I'm waiting for parts for my smoker. I set heat to 275. About 1hour and 10 mins later I decided to go at 250 since it it would probably took another hour fot the 25 degree I wanted. If it isn't raining tomorrow I'm going to get some help to take it back. I'm disappointed in the grill. I finished the pellets I had and started with pit boss pellets. I might empty those out and put another brand in because I think it quit smoking when the pit boss pellets got to the fire. I know this grill can't be this bad and I bought the pellets at walmart so they could be old or made in China like the grill, after all they are pit boss pellets. I been doing my hot dogs in a deep fat fryer. Total time for that is 10 mins for oil to get hot and 4 mins cook time

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on one, it has everything I’m looking for. My biggest question though, how long does it take to get to set temp, say from ignition to 250° or 350°?
I cooked some burgers tonight it was 10 min to ignite the pellets and 10 minutes to hit 350 .

I thought I would do some hot dogs on my laredo 1000 since I'm waiting for parts for my smoker. I set heat to 275. About 1hour and 10 mins later I decided to go at 250 since it it would probably took another hour fot the 25 degree I wanted. If it isn't raining tomorrow I'm going to get some help to take it back. I'm disappointed in the grill. I finished the pellets I had and started with pit boss pellets. I might empty those out and put another brand in because I think it quit smoking when the pit boss pellets got to the fire. I know this grill can't be this bad and I bought the pellets at walmart so they could be old or made in China like the grill, after all they are pit boss pellets. I been doing my hot dogs in a deep fat fryer. Total time for that is 10 mins for oil to get hot and 4 mins cook time
Clean your temp probe .

I used my laredo again. I put a hand full of pellets in fire cup.. I turned on and waited for smoke wirh door open. When smoke started clearing I set temp to 225 and it reached it in about 15 mins. I fill a smoker tube with hickory wood chips. I had made a door for tube. I had about 1 inch of space I filled with pellets I lit pellets and they started the chips. I got good clean smoke for about 2 hours which is about right for a 6 inch tube. I guess using a pellet grill means searching the net and experimenting. And my bbq chicken was great.

I used my laredo again. I put a hand full of pellets in fire cup.. I turned on and waited for smoke wirh door open. When smoke started clearing I set temp to 225 and it reached it in about 15 mins. I fill a smoker tube with hickory wood chips. I had made a door for tube. I had about 1 inch of space I filled with pellets I lit pellets and they started the chips. I got good clean smoke for about 2 hours which is about right for a 6 inch tube. I guess using a pellet grill means searching the net and experimenting. And my bbq chicken was great.
Thanks for sharing .I have never found the need for more smoke than what the S setting provides. Good on ya for experimenting to find that sweetspot for your personal taste. Cheers

Latest Discussions

Back