Anybody ever do (the cut referred to as ) a London Broil?

Edchad

Reaction score
Already have one and was thinking about trying it on the new vertical PBV4PS2.
This thing is new to me and am just starting to learn it. I’ve also never tried smoking anything like this. Might call it an experiment. lol.
Not new to smoking just this verticle pellet smoker.
Have been taught a good bit here on this thing and been looking around for ideas on how to approach this. But was thinking maybe 2 hours of hickory on the S setting to try and get a bunch of smoke in it. Then maybe 225-250 to an internal of 150-160. Wrap and bring internal on up to 200-210?
Of course I’ll season with something beforehand but is this anywhere in the ballpark reckon ?
Or would it be better to just cook it to 145 or so and skip the wrap and higher temp?
ive grilled quite a few and while they were pretty tasty they weren’t that tender.
haven’t been able to find much on this cut.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been reverse searing a bit and I think I'd try that with the LB. Do you have a heavy cast iron skillet to finish the sear or another means to do a reverse sear?

I haven't cooked london broil in years. I would marinate overnight. Lots of recipes. Soy, Italian salad dressing, red wine, pepper, salt would be the basics for me.

After marinating overnight I'd take the steak out pat it dry and let it warm up to room temp. Put a thermometer in it and when the internal temp is around 50F, start the smoker.

I don't know much about your smoker, but I'd set the temp for around 200F, or maybe even 190F so it gets a good long smoke.

Smoke until the internal temp is 120F.

Pull it off, and reverse sear it on the hottest thing you can have. Just needs a good char. Tent it, rest for a bit and then carve against the grain on a bias.

If you like the taste of the marinade, reserve some and boil it down for a sauce. Add some butter to it at the end.

good luck.

Thanks for the input. And kind of along the lines of what you suggest. And mainly this is kind of an experiment with something I already had in the freezer. I think I might try smoking it up to the 120 you mentioned. And finish both sides off on my Weber grill. The S setting I found out actually in here heats to about 190. Which is about what you suggested. The manual is incorrect saying 350.
I can scorch the heck out of the two sides on the Weber pretty quick. Sear for a better word. Lol.
I’m really trying to see how much Smokey taste I can get in it and maybe a little more tender than the way I always grilled them.

Hey Dan. Thank you for changing my thinking buddy. Cooked it today and wow it’s the best one I’ve ever cooked. I didn’t do all the seasoning etc. Just covered with salt and course pepper. Smoked it over Pit Boss hickory pellets for about 2 1/2 hours. Used the S setting for awhile but the temps were kind of unstable. Changed to 200 degrees for the duration. Probes in the meat hit 125 and I pulled it and did both sides on super hot cast iron grates of the Weber E330. Temp checked about 140 with my Thermapen. Wrapped. Let it sit about an hour and I couldn’t believe how Smokey tender and juicy this thing was.
It could have been better. I think I left it on the grates just a little too long. It kept cooking in the foil more than I thought it would but was still pretty tender. I should have took it up before 140. But still the best one I’ve ever done. And learned a thing or two.
Thanks a million.

Attachments

• 2B4B7DDB-2477-42BF-AC1A-9FEC3ABAA99D.jpeg
    2B4B7DDB-2477-42BF-AC1A-9FEC3ABAA99D.jpeg
    266.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 6AE3A1A0-FC77-437C-A29E-B96C57BAA92D.jpeg
    6AE3A1A0-FC77-437C-A29E-B96C57BAA92D.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Glad to hear it worked out. maybe next time try an overnight marinade. Even something simple like italian salad dressing or some red wine and salt and pepper can help tenderize it a bit.

Cheers,

Hey Dan. Thank you for changing my thinking buddy. Cooked it today and wow it’s the best one I’ve ever cooked. I didn’t do all the seasoning etc. Just covered with salt and course pepper. Smoked it over Pit Boss hickory pellets for about 2 1/2 hours. Used the S setting for awhile but the temps were kind of unstable. Changed to 200 degrees for the duration. Probes in the meat hit 125 and I pulled it and did both sides on super hot cast iron grates of the Weber E330. Temp checked about 140 with my Thermapen. Wrapped. Let it sit about an hour and I couldn’t believe how Smokey tender and juicy this thing was.
It could have been better. I think I left it on the grates just a little too long. It kept cooking in the foil more than I thought it would but was still pretty tender. I should have took it up before 140. But still the best one I’ve ever done. And learned a thing or two.
Thanks a million.
I pull mine at 125 and rest for 30 mins tented. It gets to 135-140 or medium rare. Awesome slides against the grain thinly.

Another tip my brother in law passed along is for a London broil.
He recommended treating it just like a brisket for temp settings and goals.
However at 165ish, rather than wrap it, he puts in in a tin foil pan with “aus jus” in the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil then run it up to 205ish.
He said the the Aus jus helps take care of the moisture that this lean meat needs to be succulent and juicy.
So that’s on my to do list now.

Latest Discussions

Back