850 pro p setting not working

Smokeyjoe

Reaction score
Hello, sorry i looked through forums but couldn't find exactly what i wanted. My 850 pro is less then 3 months old. On S i can change the p setting 1-6 but it never stays selected. It will flash at lets say 4. But once i try to select it, it goes away. I can not get the smoker to add any decent smoke flavor even on S. What am i doing wrong?

Sounds like it is bad, I would contact Pit Boss and leave a call back number. They will send a new controller.

Is It an 850 pro series from Lowes? If so I think it should have a PID controller, so no P setting. I could be wrong but I thought the 850,1150, and 1600 all have PID controllers.
P setting is recipe button mine sets but goes back to p1 no smoke feel like i bought an oven

P setting is recipe button mine sets but goes back to p1 no smoke feel like i bought an ove
The only thing I can think of is that you might have an 820 not 850. The 820 has P setting from what I can see online, and the 850 has the PID controller. Both sold at Lowes. Just a thought.

Yes, that P setting is for programming up to 5 recipes. It is not used for smoking. The time is used for the amount of time used to cook. The P setting on the older controllers has a little hole where you press which one you want and it always defaults to 4 (which is usually the best one anyway). The newer models do not have a P setting for smoke.

Yes, that P setting is for programming up to 5 recipes. It is not used for smoking. The time is used for the amount of time used to cook. The P setting on the older controllers has a little hole where you press which one you want and it always defaults to 4 (which is usually the best one anyway). The newer models do not have a P setting for smoke.
Ok so how do you get more smoke ?

Turn it on "S". The smoke setting. If you leave it there for 2 hours you will get a smoke ring. You may not see the smoke all the time but it will be there. And the more you use it the better it gets - but these are not like stick burners. The don't produce that kind of smoke. The trade off is they are much easier to manage. if you use the "S" setting it will be at a much lower temp and will add more cook time. Example - if I plan an 8 hour pork shoulder I'll end up doing it for 10-12 hours adding a couple of hours time by using the smoke setting and I will get more smoke flavor.

Many of us here have one of these:
Pellet Smoking Tube
When used correctly, they produce a ton of smoke for hours.

Turn it on "S". The smoke setting. If you leave it there for 2 hours you will get a smoke ring. You may not see the smoke all the time but it will be there. And the more you use it the better it gets - but these are not like stick burners. The don't produce that kind of smoke. The trade off is they are much easier to manage. if you use the "S" setting it will be at a much lower temp and will add more cook time. Example - if I plan an 8 hour pork shoulder I'll end up doing it for 10-12 hours adding a couple of hours time by using the smoke setting and I will get more smoke flavor.

Many of us here have one of these:
Pellet Smoking Tube
When used correctly, they produce a ton of smoke for hours.
Thank you for the advice. Need to try one.

Latest Discussions

Back