3 step burn off

ccbrown71

Reaction score
Received the following procedure from pit-boss. Has anyone tried this?

If you're having issues with the grill holding temp on the lower settings, there is a 3 step burn off process we'd have you do. If after this you're still having issues, please let us know as we will have a plan in place to reprogram the board in just a few days. If you do this in a single day, expect it to take about 5 hours.

Set the grill directly to 350° instead of Smoke and run it at that temp for 40 minutes. After that, drop the grill down to 200° and let it run for an additional 40 minutes. Shut the grill down and let it cool down. After that, turn the grill back on to 350° for another 40 minutes, then down to 225° for 40 minutes and shut it down again after that. Then start up to 350° for a final 40 minutes, then down to 250° for 40 minutes. After that's been done, the board should "learn" from that and your temps may be more in line. This will take a bit of time, but there have been quite a few people who've stated this works very well for them.

If you're having issues with the grill holding temp on the lower settings, there is a 3 step burn off process we'd have you do. If after this you're still having issues, please let us know as we will have a plan in place to reprogram the board in just a few days. If you do this in a single day, expect it to take about 5 hours.

Set the grill directly to 350° instead of Smoke and run it at that temp for 40 minutes. After that, drop the grill down to 200° and let it run for an additional 40 minutes. Shut the grill down and let it cool down. After that, turn the grill back on to 350° for another 40 minutes, then down to 225° for 40 minutes and shut it down again after that. Then start up to 350° for a final 40 minutes, then down to 250° for 40 minutes. After that's been done, the board should "learn" from that and your temps may be more in line. This will take a bit of time, but there have been quite a few people who've stated this works very well for them.
This doesn't work. You'll need to send the controller back to them and let them update the firmware. Just call them and say you tried the 3 step process and it didn't work. Otherwise you are wasting pellets and time.

Did this with no positive results. Save the time and pellets.

It's a joke! No, it doesn't work - sent mine back yesterday to be reprogrammed.

Please keep us informed about the firm Ware update as I seen to have the same issues.

Got my controller back today. Heated up to 350. Placed my stuffed pork loin on the grill and inserted the meat probe. Dropped the temp to 230. The auger and the igniter came on at least a dozen times while the temp dropped. The igniter never came on with the previous programming during a temp drop. Temp controlled at 230 with never going more than 3 degrees above or below set point for over 2 hours. Impressed with my first cook on the new program. Family agreed that the loin had more of smoke flavor than previous cooks.

Paul Harvey’s rest of the story: I’ve made some mods to the grill. I’ve closed the gap between the drip tray and support so the heat doesn’t blow directly on the thermocouple. I’ve also blinded the smoke stack off. The smoke stack is too large and comes off too high on the cook chamber. All of the stick burners I’ve used, the smoke stack comes off at or below the main cook grate. The grease drip tube is plenty large enough for a smoke stack and it’s located below the main cooking grate. So the heat and smoke stay in the cooking area instead of doing a drive by. So tonight’s smoke was a win in my eyes. I’ll continue to update as my smokes become longer and more complicated.
Chris

The burn off does not work.

The fix for me was to disable Bluetooth. I did some troubleshooting and noticed something was adjusting the temps too low or too high. I set the smoker manually with just controls and it would hold but the temps would move when I used the app. With Wi-Fi only the app will still report temps and allow temp control. BT is not needed. Either turn it off on the phone or block the app from connecting to Bluetooth. I blocked BT from the Smokeit app so I could still use BT with my other temp probes.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back