2 new temp. gauges and bottle opener for the PB850PS2

Going to 300* and both sides are even temperatures, very good results.

I think the 1150 has a heat diffuser that the 850 does not have. Unless mine is missing something.
I made a heat shield to even out the heat.
I do believe mine has a heat diffuser but my right side is always hotter than left.

is it that flat looking thing that surrounds your fire pot? Take that thing out and see what happens, I don't think you need it.

I
is it that flat looking thing that surrounds your fire pot? Take that thing out and see what happens, I don't think you need it.
I Believe so yes...runs the whole bottom...is flat...has a whole in it for the fire pot...so removing that will even out my temps? I'm confused then because your saying you added a diffuser to distribute heat now your telling me to remove mine?

I

I Believe so yes...runs the whole bottom...is flat...has a whole in it for the fire pot...so removing that will even out my temps? I'm confused then because your saying you added a diffuser to distribute heat now your telling me to remove mine?
I'm not sure what it does for your grill, I have seen those in pictures and I just don't think it does anything, what does the manual say about it?
BTW, the thing I made is completely different. I don't have a picture yet but I will soon.

I'm not sure what it does for your grill, I have seen those in pictures and I just don't think it does anything, what does the manual say about it?
BTW, the thing I made is completely different. I don't have a picture yet but I will soon.
Manual doesnt say much about it to be honest. So what makes you think removing that might make might temps even out? And yes cant wait for you to show us all what you did...only time I have an issie is making wings...after 20 minutes have to flip the ones from the to theft and left to the right so they all get cooked the same.

I don't think removing it will even out the temps. but I just don't see what it could be doing for the grill, does it have a function?

I don't think removing it will even out the temps. but I just don't see what it could be doing for the grill, does it have a function?
No clue on its function not much info about it. And my other message was brutal but Wings are my biggest issue after 20 mintues have to move the ones from the left to the right and the ones from the right to the left.

You have pics or instructions yet on how you modified to get even temps?

This two piece connecting rod will let me adjust left and right side temperatures on the fly.
It will connect to the heat deflector plate.
Pull for more heat on the right and push for more heat on the left, simple.
Will install tonight and do a test run Saturday to see how well it works and how fast the heat will change on either side.

Attachments

• 20210203_150807.jpg
    20210203_150807.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20210203_150758.jpg
    20210203_150758.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 107
installed the control rod for the temperature adjusting devise so I can adjust temperature side to side on the fly, while cooking.
I will test it this weekend to see how fast the temperature changes on either side.
will report the results Monday.

20210204_195320.jpg
20210204_195223.jpg

Do you have any pictures of the actual temperature control device and how it’s installed on your grill? Looking forward to seeing the finished Mod. Great work so far.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... In SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

I did some testing last weekend and found that moving this thing from left to right has more effect on higher temperatures.
It had very little effect at low temps. It seems that by just being in there it does the job, but as I went up in temperature, there was way more control of either side.
I admit when the temperatures were at the greatest difference I opened the lid to let it cool a little to help compensate for the high temperature differential but moving the slide adjuster evened it out.
It works as designed and now I have control of it.
What if you wanted to cook at different temperatures left and right? I guess you can, or you can make it even throughout.

Here ya go. Did my first burn in tonight. Purchased from smokelikeaboss.com
Got it in a few days. Also got my reprogrammed controller from pit boss in Oregon tonight too for my 1150. Heat shield should work on yours also. Blocks all the hot air blowing on the stock probe. After 45 minute burn in at 350 I backed temp down to 230 and temps slowly crept down to about 220 before auger kicked in. I added my maverick probes grate level. Temp outside here in western Maryland was 28 degrees with a constant slight breeze. I let the grill idle back up for 10 mins or so and according the PB display readout the grill was going back and forth between 209-215. Maverick probe on the left 4-5 inches from unit prob read right around 219. Middle probe was 225-230 and the far right probe was 230-235. This will certainly change once the weather gets warmer but it’s a good start. I’m gonna remove the unit temp probe cover to expose it a little more and see how that works on my first batch of wings tonight. Supposed to be in the upper 20s and snowing which is nice. I was also using lumberjack competition pellets from dicks sporting goods if that makes a difference. Nice smoke rolling every time pellets were dropped.

Attachments

• 87359CC4-4F61-4A80-A739-5D9CC981427F.jpeg
    87359CC4-4F61-4A80-A739-5D9CC981427F.jpeg
    257.5 KB · Views: 141
  • D7235FAB-584D-4820-B8BC-94A9E09A8C08.jpeg
    D7235FAB-584D-4820-B8BC-94A9E09A8C08.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 140
Here ya go. Did my first burn in tonight. Purchased from smokelikeaboss.com
Got it in a few days. Also got my reprogrammed controller from pit boss in Oregon tonight too for my 1150. Heat shield should work on yours also. Blocks all the hot air blowing on the stock probe. After 45 minute burn in at 350 I backed temp down to 230 and temps slowly crept down to about 220 before auger kicked in. I added my maverick probes grate level. Temp outside here in western Maryland was 28 degrees with a constant slight breeze. I let the grill idle back up for 10 mins or so and according the PB display readout the grill was going back and forth between 209-215. Maverick probe on the left 4-5 inches from unit prob read right around 219. Middle probe was 225-230 and the far right probe was 230-235. This will certainly change once the weather gets warmer but it’s a good start. I’m gonna remove the unit temp probe cover to expose it a little more and see how that works on my first batch of wings tonight. Supposed to be in the upper 20s and snowing which is nice. I was also using lumberjack competition pellets from dicks sporting goods if that makes a difference. Nice smoke rolling every time pellets were dropped.
the 850 is already shaped like that on both ends, no need for that add on. I was always wondering why some Pit Boss grills have that shape and some do not.

I did some testing last weekend and found that moving this thing from left to right has more effect on higher temperatures.
It had very little effect at low temps. It seems that by just being in there it does the job, but as I went up in temperature, there was way more control of either side.
I admit when the temperatures were at the greatest difference I opened the lid to let it cool a little to help compensate for the high temperature differential but moving the slide adjuster evened it out.
It works as designed and now I have control of it.
What if you wanted to cook at different temperatures left and right? I guess you can, or you can make it even throughout.

View attachment 809
View attachment 810
View attachment 811
Looks like you may have solved some issues I am having with the 1150PS2..can you show us the mod?

Back