1150 Pro temperature is off 30-50F

TekVu

Reaction score
I have the new PID and it holds the set temp better, but the temp is not correct. It is off 30-50F depending on set temp. I have cleaned the temperature probe and it is spotless. The PB temp probe connected to input 1 matches my stand alone probe temps.
1361C4E9-943E-4622-B293-67059DD89DD4.png

I installed the smoking like a pro mod on the 1150PB2 just curious what people’s thoughts are about that. I’m trying it out this morning on a pork shoulder.

Attachments

• 7A9CC182-AC57-43C0-9FCA-65EF2E6990BF.jpeg
    7A9CC182-AC57-43C0-9FCA-65EF2E6990BF.jpeg
    263.3 KB · Views: 123
Did you remove the bottom plate?
Are you referring to that flimsy plate that sits on the auger housing and fire pot? If so I did remove it just because I dropped a screw and had to get it out. I been keeping that plate in there when I been using the grill. Idk what it’s actually for maybe to help disperse the heat better which I think wasn’t working very well anyways. It does keep a lot of pellet ash from going to the bottom of the grill at least for me. Right now I’m running my smoker on S setting and my grate temps are maybe only 10 degrees off from left to right and the right side being within a couple degrees from the PID temp probe which says it’s running at 180. I had that big temp swing from left to right maybe 25- 50 degrees on the grates. So maybe that mod seems to help. I also noticed I’m not getting the temp swings on the S setting that I was getting before on the PID controller last weekend it was ranging from 180-250. Now it’s staying right on 180.

Did you remove the bottom plate?
TekVu
I did the same side piece and also the Smoke Daddy firepot deflector and got great results. You lose the sear function when you use the firepot deflector but I was never a big fan of that anyway. I also got around the fact that the 1150 is weak on smoke so just lay a Mojo Brick on the top of the firepot deflector and it gives a good steady hour or 2 of added smoke. I was ready to bring this back to Lowes and just go back to my 820 but she's coming along.

Last edited:
I installed the smoking like a pro mod on the 1150PB2 just curious what people’s thoughts are about that. I’m trying it out this morning on a pork shoulder.
I installed that and Smoke Daddys firepot diffuser and got great results. I'm now within about 5 to 8 degrees from set temp and side to side variations are way improved. The middle reads about 245. The right reads about 249 to 255. And the left is 251 to 258.
I can deal with that.

I installed this mod about a month or so ago. Since then, instead of a 35-50 degree temp difference between the left and right sides of the grill, I have a 5 to 10 degree difference. I cant praise that mod enough!

I have tried running through the dumb-forest, and hitting my head on every single tree....but I cant figure out what the designers thought process was on that gap, and why it wasnt corrected before it was released.

With that singular issue being the only thing that (fixable) I had an problem with....I love this smoker/grill.

Well, my 1150 pbs2 works great without it. I guess if you are having problems you may need it. I am use to a wood burner that is real work! I love this thing it is so easy to use. After about 1 hour the thing really locks in the temperature. Cooks different and I have to get use to the new meat texture. I really like it because of the ease of use!

TekVu
I did the same side piece and also the Smoke Daddy firepot deflector and got great results. You lose the sear function when you use the firepot deflector but I was never a big fan of that anyway. I also got around the fact that the 1150 is weak on smoke so just lay a Mojo Brick on the top of the firepot deflector and it gives a good steady hour or 2 of added smoke. I was ready to bring this back to Lowes and just go back to my 820 but she's coming along.
I love the sear feature! I will need to do some mods to prevent the heat from forcing against the sides.

I installed that and Smoke Daddys firepot diffuser and got great results. I'm now within about 5 to 8 degrees from set temp and side to side variations are way improved. The middle reads about 245. The right reads about 249 to 255. And the left is 251 to 258.
I can deal with that.

I have the verticle Brunswick model which is sold through Walmart. My first few smokes went pretty well. The next few smokes we’re way below the listed temp from the temperature probe within the smoker – like 40 to 50° – after an hour and 15 minutes in the smoker a 5 pound chicken register 85°. I contacted pit boss and they sent me a new temperature probe which I installed. I was encouraged by the fact that the original was probably installed upside down so that the cord was severely crimped. I then installed with the correct way but the same 40 to 50° difference persisted. I loved my previous camp chef smoker but right now I’m really peeved with pit boss. Any ideas?
thanx in advance for your help.
steve Ellwing

I'd call Pit Boss Tech Support back and tell them. Maybe it was a bad probe or maybe they'll send out another probe and a new controller.

Back