1150 Pro Temp Issue (As Nauseum)

lpliv123

Reaction score
I have been really happy with my Pit Boss Pro 1150 so far, being grateful that it wasn't having temp control issues. I have cooked 10-15 times ribs, roasts, steaks chicken etc. all with out issue only novice errors. My temp probes were really off (50 degrees or so) and Pit Boss sent a single replacement after committing to two. I was a happy camper lol and then it happened. Most of my cooks were limited to an hour or so of smoking to flavor and then up to a cooking temp to finish the work. The start up was as they suggest starting at the "S" until it hit 190-200 and the up to the smoke temp of 225 or so for the first hour. The last hour or so of cooking I never saw any major temp changes but this time it was different. I planned on smoking for two hours at 250 and doing the final cooking at 350. I watched the temps thru the app (confirming on the 1150) and about 50 minutes later the temp dropped and did not return. I upped the temp to 300 and it returned to 250 for 20 mins and then I had to repeat it a couple more times... In the end I overcooked the tri-tip but it still tasted good and was tender but... I know that the temp variations didn't cause the over cook but I had better temp control with my WSM + Pitmaster IQ.. I too am wondering if I should return it to Lowes. I left a call back number at Pit Boss yesterday but they never returned my call... Sort of undecided on whether to keep it or nor, this looked like such a good deal... I have updated the software for the app but as of yet have seen nothing that confirms what I was told by the customer service rep that there would be an update. Judging by the numerous posts here I am not alone.

Phil

Edit #1 After a conversation with Lowes I have been told that since I have had it morel than 30 days I can't return it. To return it I have to have Pit Boss take it back. I know I have read that some Lowes will take stuff back up to 90 days... I'm hoping I didn't make a major mistake buying this unit...

Last edited:
Thanks MK I got in touch with Pit Boss and they said that they have figured out the problems (including the temp probe issue) and will have a supervisor get in touch with me via email... I am going to give them the benefit of doubt in this case...

Attachments

• 20201130_164056.jpg
    20201130_164056.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 20201122_155537.jpg
    20201122_155537.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 301
Is that by telling them or making an official complaint,,, thanks
Made an official complaint last night, had a senior QA tech call me this AM. They are sending me a return label for the PID and will be upgrading the firmware at their HQ. Said a 4-5 day turnaround but the upgraded PID will have 10f increments, so 180-190-200-210-220 etc... Sounds a little too good to be true, but we shall see.

so you are sending in you controller for them to upgrade it?
or are they sending out a new one?

so you are sending in you controller for them to upgrade it?
or are they sending out a new one?
I am sending mine in. They said they don't have any spares to send me, but they gave me a return label to send mine in, they will do the PID upgrade to it, and send it back. Figured I'll try it since I have another 22 days until my 90 day return warranty ends

Turns out they really take BBB complaints seriously.. just sayin ;)
They have too because BBB will push them to resolve it quickly as you do not want to have a lower than A+ rating. They have had 187 complaints to BBB and 147 were closed, but that does not mean they were resolved. I am surprised on the 187 complaints thought would be higher.

Made an official complaint last night, had a senior QA tech call me this AM. They are sending me a return label for the PID and will be upgrading the firmware at their HQ. Said a 4-5 day turnaround but the upgraded PID will have 10f increments, so 180-190-200-210-220 etc... Sounds a little too good to be true, but we shall see.
So you have to send the controller back to them. So that tells us that this new controller does not take firmware updates over WiFi. I am not familiar with the new PID. Does the manual state that the controller firmware can be updated over WiFi or it does not mention it?

If that is the case then that is why PB cannot fix it and telling you to return the grills. I cannot see them receiving hundreds of controllers to update, but that is insane.

If the manual does say that it can update the firmware over WiFi then they must be replacing something on the board and loading a new firmware.

All Pit Boss owner of the new PID controller

I would call them and tell them you want a return label to send the controller back and have it updated. That is ridicolous giving everyone the run around and someone files a complaint to BBB and they want to update the controller and not do this for everyone who has called them..

So you have to send the controller back to them. So that tells us that this new controller does not take firmware updates over WiFi. I am not familiar with the new PID. Does the manual state that the controller firmware can be updated over WiFi or it does not mention it?

If that is the case then that is why PB cannot fix it and telling you to return the grills. I cannot see them receiving hundreds of controllers to update, but that is insane.

If the manual does say that it can update the firmware over WiFi then they must be replacing something on the board and loading a new firmware.

All Pit Boss owner of the new PID controller

I would call them and tell them you want a return label to send the controller back and have it updated. That is ridicolous giving everyone the run around and someone files a complaint to BBB and they want to update the controller and not do this for everyone who has called them..
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is a practically zero percent chance that these PIDs can be upgraded via wifi. They don't mention it anywhere in the manual, and I doubt the app has that level of interface with the JTAG firmware thats on the board itself. Probably doesn't help that the PID is made by a 3rd party manufacturer and the App is also made by a different third party.

I bet corporate is eating their hat and isn't sure what to do, so the loudest customers get the return label and the rest are just told to return them.

I shipped the PID with their label tonight, so we'll see what the turnaround time ends up looking like. I also mentioned all the false advertisements and he said that he would "pass it up the chain". Will report more when I have an update

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there is a practically zero percent chance that these PIDs can be upgraded via wifi. They don't mention it anywhere in the manual, and I doubt the app has that level of interface with the JTAG firmware thats on the board itself. Probably doesn't help that the PID is made by a 3rd party manufacturer and the App is also made by a different third party.

I bet corporate is eating their hat and isn't sure what to do, so the loudest customers get the return label and the rest are just told to return them.

I shipped the PID with their label tonight, so we'll see what the turnaround time ends up looking like. I also mentioned all the false advertisements and he said that he would "pass it up the chain". Will report more when I have an update
Thank you I bet this controller does not have a connectable interface to even program the ROM or CMOS Chip whatever they use. I would again take a picture and see if the chip is the same when they return it. They maybe removing it and adding another with the new firmware.

I have no idea why Pit Boss did not use the same company that made the controller for the Platinum grills for the new Pro Series grill....oh well good luck and keep us posted.

This has turned out to be an interesting thread, thank you all for your contributions.. I have yet to receive and email or phone call from Pit Boss but when and if I do I will certainly pass it on here...
Thanks again

I got an email today stating:

Thank you for your recent purchase of the Pit Boss Pro Series grill from Lowe’s. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on lowes.com documenting your experience. We have identified an issue with some of our grills holding temperatures in the mid-range and have come up with a firmware update to the controller to help these grills perform better in this range.
We are very excited about this new line of Pit Boss grills and want to make sure that the grill is working well for you. If you could please reply to this email with the issues you are experiencing, I will personally make sure that we work to get your grill running so that you are able to cook dinner for your family and enjoy the features of the Pro Series grills.”

so we will see.

Latest Discussions

Back