100% Flavorwood pellets?

Edchad

Reaction score
This isn’t specifically Pit Boss pellets but this is as close a category I guess I can post this.
I’m new to the pellet thing obviously and have been asking a lot and experimenting quite a bit. I’ve looked and sometimes it’s hard to find what I would think is a simple answer to Who has true 100% pellets? So far I’ve found and tried the Kingsford Hickory to be pretty darn good for me. It says 100% hickory on the bag and adverts. I’ve bought and tried several brands and flavors in a short time. Who else makes real 100% pellets of the flavor they are? I thought Bear Mountain was but after trying their Hickory today I found the flavor not as good as the Kingsford. I just did a little research and finally found they contain hickory and alder wood I believe? Not to say they were horrible but definitely didn’t taste pure hickory to me or my wife either on some brisket I did today. I realize everybody has a different taste and opinion. I already figured out the word Blend is a giveaway. Now I’m finding they like to use the term 100% hardwood. I guess it’s better than the artificial flavoring added to some but I’m finding it sort of hard to nail some of them down.
if I want mesquite for example. I want 100% mesquite. Maybe it’s just me but a whole bunch of this stuff has a strange taste or aftertaste. The Kingsford hickory to us is about the only one that tastes natural. The charcoal by PB is ok. At least it doesn’t have that wierd taste. I use it in the hopper and am still mixing chips with pellets in tubes for a decent flavor. I actually did some baby backs with all Kingsford hickory pellets and no chips. And it was pretty good. The wife didn’t even notice. Said they were good. Lol. And she ain’t bashful about telling it like it is.
I’ve looked. And even found some of them USED to be? And aren’t now? To me to label a bag hickory (or whatever) and then say 100% hardwood and find there’s a few different woods in there is kinda deceiving.
I’ve accumulated quite a collection. Lol. And some of it to me ain’t fit to start a fire with. And me being the dummy I am would buy two bags instead of one and find out I didn’t care for it. With that being said I give myself the Dummy Award.

Last edited:
This isn’t specifically Pit Boss pellets but this is as close a category I guess I can post this.
I’m new to the pellet thing obviously and have been asking a lot and experimenting quite a bit. I’ve looked and sometimes it’s hard to find what I would think is a simple answer to Who has true 100% pellets? So far I’ve found and tried the Kingsford Hickory to be pretty darn good for me. It says 100% hickory on the bag and adverts. I’ve bought and tried several brands and flavors in a short time. Who else makes real 100% pellets of the flavor they are? I thought Bear Mountain was but after trying their Hickory today I found the flavor not as good as the Kingsford. I just did a little research and finally found they contain hickory and alder wood I believe? Not to say they were horrible but definitely didn’t taste pure hickory to me or my wife either on some brisket I did today. I realize everybody has a different taste and opinion. I already figured out the word Blend is a giveaway. Now I’m finding they like to use the term 100% hardwood. I guess it’s better than the artificial flavoring added to some but I’m finding it sort of hard to nail some of them down.
if I want mesquite for example. I want 100% mesquite. Maybe it’s just me but a whole bunch of this stuff has a strange taste or aftertaste. The Kingsford hickory to us is about the only one that tastes natural. The charcoal by PB is ok. At least it doesn’t have that wierd taste. I use it in the hopper and am still mixing chips with pellets in tubes for a decent flavor. I actually did some baby backs with all Kingsford hickory pellets and no chips. And it was pretty good. The wife didn’t even notice. Said they were good. Lol. And she ain’t bashful about telling it like it is.
I’ve looked. And even found some of them USED to be? And aren’t now? To me to label a bag hickory (or whatever) and then say 100% hardwood and find there’s a few different woods in there is kinda deceiving.
I’ve accumulated quite a collection. Lol. And some of it to me ain’t fit to start a fire with. And me being the dummy I am would buy two bags instead of one and find out I didn’t care for it. With that being said I give myself the Dummy Award.
I feel your pain man! I came to the pellet world after using a stick burner for many years. I have done the same research you have. I thought I could just buy hickory or whatever like I do with wood but no it doesn't work that way with pellets. It may say hickory but it's mixed with two other woods such as oak. They say it is so that the wood will burn better and keep better temperatures and consistency. Even if it says on the bag it is hickory it seems they always mix it and finding a pure wood is almost impossible.

I agree with Kingsford. I have used their hickory and find. The flavor better than PB hickory blend. Also have a bag of 100% Kingsford cherry but haven't tried that by itself but mixed with other pellets. I like the idea of pure wood and can mix my own. Have heard good things about Lumberjack and Bear Mountain but haven't found them locally. My Kingsford came from Walmart.

OP, find out how far you are from a Rural King store. They carry LumberJack and sell at good prices. Even a road trip to buy some could be worth it if you buy in bulk. As someone else said Dick's carry LumberJack but you might have to order the hickory. Dick's is supposed to price match too. Also look for Cookin Pellets.

ETA - Rural King has started selling their own store brand and I've seen speculation that it may be rebranded LumberJack sold at an even better price.

Don't mean to necro, but I've been using CookinPellets for years. Pops uses in his Yoder, and I used them in my GMG Daniel Boone until lightning struck it, and now in my Brunswick. Only pellet that I'll run.
100% flavorwoods, no fillers, no oils, no bs. Bigger bags than the other brands as well, so that's nice. I've ordered from Amazon, and I've also picked up a pallet from him directly on my way home from work travels. Massive discount if you can do that.

Don't mean to necro, but I've been using CookinPellets for years. Pops uses in his Yoder, and I used them in my GMG Daniel Boone until lightning struck it, and now in my Brunswick. Only pellet that I'll run.
100% flavorwoods, no fillers, no oils, no bs. Bigger bags than the other brands as well, so that's nice. I've ordered from Amazon, and I've also picked up a pallet from him directly on my way home from work travels. Massive discount if you can do that.
I agree,I use them almost exclusively. If I run out I will use bear mountain but I think the Cookin Pellets are the best out there.

I like Bear Mountain but have learned that their only 100% pellets are Oak and Alder. All the rest are blends. The blends are good, in my opinion but still not 100% the type of wood named. When I 1st bought their apple, I thought it was 100% apple but was wrong. I'll still go with Bear Mountain over Pitboss. Still want to try Lumberjack and Cookin' pellets.

Latest Discussions

Back